My iPhone is coming up with 'slide to upgrade' but won't let me. Is this meant to happen?

Linda NZ 2015

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Just had the same issue and managed to fix it by following the below advice and then restoring as new iPhone on iTunes. phew!

Put the device in recovery or DFU mode (turn off phone then hold down home key as you put usb into computer, and keep holding down home key until your phone asks you to connect to iTunes), make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer, make sure your computer has a good internet connection, connect the device to the computer, initiate the computer's iTunes app, and when iTunes recognizes the device in recovery, select to restore and update. I hope you've already made a backup of your device before attempting to update the iOS version.

kwp217

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. My 6 plus is just stuck on the Apple screen with the line going across for hours. I can't shut the phone off. When I do a reset it goes to "Slide to upgrade" then I enter my pin and back to the Apple logo with the line underneath. I'm highly PISSED!

annaston

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I had the same thing happen (screen freezing on 'slide to upgrade') and spent *hours* yesterday trying to fix it and *hours* today on the phone with Apple Care. Finally have the phone back after doing the following:

1) Hold both buttons down and plug phone into computer
2) Continue holding down the Home button until you see the Apple logo and then the iTunes cord
3) Once the phone was in Recovery Mode, choose the option to recover it *AS A NEW PHONE* and NOT from your last backup (this was the key for me!)
4) Once your phone has been recovered as a new phone, THEN you can restore backup.

Hope this helps if anyone else is having the same problem! :)

swingfire912

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
i have exactly the same problem, so i called apple store to see what's the problem and they told me to go to their store to fix it. But i will try the solution that u guys post it and i hope it will work.

Mike7

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5s and I already had my phone updated to the newest version before iOS 9 which was iOS 8.4.1 and I still got the "slide to update" freeze. I've restarted my phone multiple times and didn't backup my phone's data so I don't want to get it in factory restore mode... Are there any other solutions?

turtleswillrule

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
There hasn't been any solutions that doesn't involve wiping your phone, I didn't back mine up either and losing 2 months of family trip photos and friend's number and conversations isn't an ideal solution.

Sam Dohuki

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: my iphone is coming up with 'slide to upgrade' but won't let me. Is this meant to happen?

After I had done the update for ios9 I had clicked on 'enable location services' and the screen went white and said 'slide to upgrade but it won't let me slide the screen across and I'm worried something has happened to my phone because of the update

nadais

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I did that I restored as a new phone and was working completely fine, then when i went to restore backup it came up AGAIN :mad: I'm officially pissed. going to try downgrading now.