Lifeproof vs. Otterbox

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Received the Preserver in the mail today. Played around with it for a few hours and it's not bad. Feels kind of rigid and stiff, but solid.

EDIT: Well, I just went back to my replacement Fre. The Preserver made a "sticky" sound from the plastic membrane every time I touched the screen. Tried putting the case back on a second time, but it didn't help. The air gap was causing slight sensitivity issues and was forcing air to the plastic membrane, which caused that "sticky" noise. This kind of made me concerned for the longevity of the plastic membrane over the speaker, as it could possibly burst over time and use. Also, the Preserver just felt really rigid and stiff. The Fre is much more lightweight and compact, which I actually like. Only slight issue I have with the new replacement Fre is that it fits extremely tight. Like, it was really hard to snap on. And it wasn't just my 5s with a matte screen protector; my brother's 5 without a screen protector fit snugly too. Might just be the new revision of the cases, since the flash opening is way bigger for the TrueTone flash of the 5s.

Either way, I'm gonna be sticking with the Fre for now. Audio sounds better through both the earpiece and speaker, and the screen sensitivity is much better in my experience. I'm thinking I might just keep the Preserver (since it was only $40), but I also might return it to Amazon if I don't end up using it much.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I prefer otterbox, i know some people who use lifeproof; To me lifeproof looks out of place. Holding the phone with lifeproof I was definitely afraid of dropping the phone.

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have had several iterations of the LifeProof case as well as a couple of OtterBoxes and by far I prefer the LifeProof. For those that had issues with water or moisture getting into the LifeProof case either had a defective case, or one that was not sealed properly. As the case as designed as WATERPROOF not water resistant. When you have a LifeProof you need to first water test the case periodically with out the phone installed, and 2 check the integrity of the seals (no dust, damage etc) I only wish the Mophie and LifeProof would team up and make a LifeProof charging case for the iPhone :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you have a problem with an Otterbox case, they will send a replacement free, regardless if where you bought it. There's always a small % of cases that will have issues. Doesn't mean they all do. I had to return my wife's 5c Otterbox Defender to Verizon. Otter sent her a new one free that works great. Great customer service.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had several iterations of the LifeProof case as well as a couple of OtterBoxes and by far I prefer the LifeProof. For those that had issues with water or moisture getting into the LifeProof case either had a defective case, or one that was not sealed properly. As the case as designed as WATERPROOF not water resistant. When you have a LifeProof you need to first water test the case periodically with out the phone installed, and 2 check the integrity of the seals (no dust, damage etc) I only wish the Mophie and LifeProof would team up and make a LifeProof charging case for the iPhone :)

This is just not true...the case I had was not defective, and was sealed exactly as it was instructed to be by Lifeproof themselves...my experience with moisture getting into the case and causing fogging was not a singular reflection either, it seemed to be a pretty common one in fact for the LifeProof Fre case, and was mostly attributed to humidity from trace amounts of moisture within the case.

Our rafting guide had the same exact case that he used regularly on the river, and he said the hazy picture thing was something he just got used to.

Again, the case definitely protected the phone from water damage, so in terms of protection, I have no complaints...I do have an issue when you can't use the phone at basic levels like taking a normal picture, so I can't vouch for them because of such.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy