Lack of Simultaneous Voice And Data - Verizon iPhone 5

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
That would probably be my only concern then. I use GPS a lot and tend to get calls while navigating. I would hate to have the navigation interrupted and end up missing a turn, although it is probably rare for that to happen.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have AT&T and it isn't a "feature" I ever use more than twice a year. Does it interrupt GPS navigation if a call comes in on VZW?
If you use online map data (Apple Maps, Google, Scout, etc) then yes because voice take priority over data. If you use onboard map data (Garmin, TomTom, Navigon) then no because all the data is on the device.

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has to support VoLTE before Apple will update the iOS to support it. It's coming...

And when they do the HD Audio, wideband audio, will be available. Which was implemented in iPhone 5 but not available yet due to carrier restrictions.

yobuc

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Lack of simultaneous voice data can be apparent when, for instance, trying to use a mapping program while talking or talking while any other data transferal is supposed to be happening. My wife has Verizon through her job and the rest of our family have AT&T.

The FindFriends app is a simple example of lack of simultaneous voice/data. When my wife is talking on her phone, FindFriends can not find her because her Verizon service can't handle both requests; so her location can't be tracked. If she were calling me because she's lost, or she can't find me, I can't see where she is and vice versa.

Same if she called me and was trying to access maps, or the web, or her email. At the same time.

AT&T can do both, but don't be fooled; when you are accessing data and talking at the same time, you're no longer on LTE; AT&T drops back to 4G at those times. That's not necessarily too bad a thing. AT&T dropback from LTE is certainly faster than Verizon's 3G, which is painfully show.

All that said, I would go Verizon, all things being equal (which they aren't; I still have unlimited AT&T data). Verizon's LTE coverage for data is excellent and covers much, much more of the North American landscape that does AT&T. When we recently vacationed, just a mile off the main highway in North Carolina, I had to rent a Verizon hotspot just to be able to use my AT&T iphone5 for data; it was useless for phone calls, except for VoIP on Vonage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien