Verizon 5G

kevb23

Nov 10, 2018
Visit site
So Verizon finally launched 5G in my area however the data seems to be worse.. Has anyone else seem to have this issue? It spots where LTE worked perfectly 5G is struggling and I seem to even lose data connectivity. For now I have turned it off, but was wondering if anyone has had this issue? :huh:

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I see the same issue with T-Mobile at times it’s a all new signal they are delivering and will need time to get it right.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been sorting this out personally, and for work where we have a delivery operation, lots of devices in MDM, Android too, two carriers for the company, and around 1000 employees who mostly use mobile to access HR, payroll and schedule info. There's truth to problems and a lot of nonsense going around.

To start, my own phone didn't activate correctly and after Verizon finally fixed that I still needed to do a reset network settings. The latter made sense considering it's been a few phones since I started fresh.

My work and the company operations are in metro areas where one's ahead with the Verizon rollout. That area has "5G" aka nationwide working much more like advertised. What I believe is called DSS does use LTE infrastructure and it's not always fastest. I still keep my phone set to 5G even though you can stop that and possibly get some faster testing because it's also picking up new towers or coverage.

Beyond the two corporate accounts we have with different carriers we (IT) get issues from AT&T, US Cellular, T Mobile and some MVNO customers. There appear to be growing pains with all of them in the change. No one else seems to have shipped "5G" phones at the scale Apple has recently.

The problem with tower handoff I had is gone and I'm doing fine with the 5G auto setting now but support from multiple carriers have all in essence revealed issues from the product generational changes that are both the phones and their networks.

Personally I did not want to reset network settings from laziness - all the WiFi in my life - but keep that in mind. All the carriers seem to be challenged with support queues lately.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
So Verizon finally launched 5G in my area however the data seems to be worse.. Has anyone else seem to have this issue? It spots where LTE worked perfectly 5G is struggling and I seem to even lose data connectivity. For now I have turned it off, but was wondering if anyone has had this issue? :huh:

Thank the Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) on Verizon for making 5G absolutely worthless. DSS reuses bands with 4G and it causes slower speeds. It's not really 5G. It's a scam. iMore has an article about it on their homepage: https://www.imore.com/iphone-12-5g-slower-4g-verizon-according-tests