iTunes; Back Up Now; button greyed out

wolnavi

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, I do my iTunes backup daily but today, out of the blue, both the "Back Up Now" and "Restore Backup" button are greyed out... The storage is also uncategorized... Please have a look at this image:

KavN8Ct.png

I tried to:

1. Restart PC
2. Force restart iPhone
3. Uninstall iTunes completely and reinstall by following this guide...
4. Tried the iTunes.exe /setPrefInt DeviceBackupsDisabled 0 CMD command
5. Tried on 2 different Windows 10 laptops
6. Tried different lightning cables for both laptops and my desktop

I tried contacting Apple Support but they told me to visit them so their technician could check on the device, but I just wanna know if anyone else has any other methods I could try before bringing it down...

Thank you

Last edited:

wolnavi

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Try changing the backup radio button from iCloud to This Computer in the above settings.

Same thing, both "Back Up Now" and "Restore Backup" buttons are greyed out. What's worse is that I now get another message "Your iPhone has never been backed up to this computer" when I have been backing it up daily...

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure you haven’t been backing up to iCloud all along? It says above last back up to iCloud 9.18 am.

wolnavi

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Are you sure you haven’t been backing up to iCloud all along? It says above last back up to iCloud 9.18 am.

The iCloud backup is always selected and I always let iCloud do it's automatic backup, the iTunes one is a manual one that I always do daily...

wolnavi

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Right, another suggestion would be to update your phone to the latest iOS 13.3.

I won't wanna do that for now because I read a Forbes article that said that it's best to wait if i'm still on iOS 12.. And besides I need to backup before I can update to iOS 13 which I can't...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Here’s a suggestion which may be a long shot... try signing out of iCloud on your iPhone and then signing back in...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

If you’ve been backing up your device daily then you should update to the latest software and then do a full backup

wolnavi

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Here’s a suggestion which may be a long shot... try signing out of iCloud on your iPhone and then signing back in...

Would I lose anything if I sign out?

Welcome to iMore

If you’ve been backing up your device daily then you should update to the latest software and then do a full backup

By latest software, which software are you referring to?
Yes I'm trying to do a full backup but that is the problem, I can't seem to backup anymore in iTunes...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I won't wanna do that for now because I read a Forbes article that said that it's best to wait if i'm still on iOS 12.. And besides I need to backup before I can update to iOS 13 which I can't...

Your back up shouldn't change if you update your OS. I wouldn't pay attention to Forbes. iOS 13 is great. That was probably an old article anyways. Writers at Forbes are not experts, and they write a lot of anti-Apple articles.

wolnavi

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Your back up shouldn't change if you update your OS. I wouldn't pay attention to Forbes. iOS 13 is great. That was probably an old article anyways. Writers at Forbes are not experts, and they write a lot of anti-Apple articles.

Oh I see... But I heard from my friends that iOS 13 is still kind of buggy and battery consumption is not so good so I'll wait for maybe iOS 13.3.2 or iOS 13.4..

Anyways I solved my issue, Malwarebytes was the one causing the issue for me.. See here for the solution if needed

Basically, just exclude 2 folders from ransomware protection, already reported to Malwarebytes and they said that a fix is in the works

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl