iTunes update error - unknown error 4000

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Since iOS 14 release, I am not able to update my iphone 11 by using iTunes. It shows error as "The Phone ............could not be updated. An unknown error occured (4000). During last 14.3 update I have used recovery mode and restored it as new phone and didnt restore any backup. But again for 14.4 update it shows same error 4000 error.

• Tried iTunes reinstall.
  • Has all Windows updates installed in the pc.
  • Restarted phone and PC both.
  • Tried on 3 different computers with different ISP.

I can update it on OTA but want to find out the reason behind this error. Apple support forums dont have any solutions for this and Apple support on phone also couldn't find reason behind this and advised me to visit SC. Not sure if that will help as they will again restore it from scratch and I might face same problem at 14.5 upgrade.

Any suggestions for me?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me and I had to switch from using my Surface Pro to my MacBook Pro for iTunes to work. I found out afterwards through a Google search that this has happened to others too with the same iTunes error. I read online something about disabling Face ID which apparently allows iTunes to work properly but I haven't tested it out to see if it truly works. I assume it's another bug Apple need to fix. Hope this helps!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't activate the dark mode after the recent update of iTunes on my windows. Please help me out.

Have you tried Reset All Settings?

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.
But first try a hard reset (reboot). Restarting may fix it.

BarbaraPrivett

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
I have been facing ITUNES.DLL is missing on your computer any help?

Updated: after some searches on the internet, I have found this guide is this ok to use.

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been facing ITUNES.DLL is missing on your computer any help?

What I would do is attempting to repair my iTunes installation. iTunes can be installed in two different ways depending on the Windows product.
Since we don't know how it was initially installed, we're going to remove iTunes and put it back again, which will lead to similar results.

First, remove your current, broken, iTunes installation.
  • On Windows 10, this can be completed by going to Windows Settings and then Apps. Find iTunes in the list, and click on the Uninstall button.
  • On other Windows products (e.g.: Windows 8.1), you need to go to the Control Panel and then clicking the Uninstall a program link. Select iTunes in the list and click the Uninstall button in the bar above the list.

Then you need to reinstall iTunes.

• If you use Windows 10, the easiest way to reinstall iTunes is to get it through the Microsoft Store: Get iTunes - Microsoft Store en-CA
  • If you use any other Windows product (e.g.: Windows 8.1), you have to go to Apple's website and download it from there: iTunes - Apple (CA)

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Error 4000 while updating to 15.4 is back. Deleted company management profile, lock set to never but still no luck. Don’t want to upgrade as fresh every time.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Error 4000 while updating to 15.4 is back. Deleted company management profile, lock set to never but still no luck. Don’t want to upgrade as fresh every time.

Same error happened to me on my Surface Pro and my MacBook Pro was already in the middle of updating so I had to resort to OTA updates for all of our other multiple Apple devices

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Had a long call with Apple Support but they also couldn't suggest any solution. Tried DFU mode with Recovery option but all that lead to "Attempting Data recovery" mode for 1 hour. But luckily phone is working again. I am not sure if this is affecting large number of iTunes users who use iTunes to update their phones.

PS: meanwhile 15.4.1 is released. I am sure will get the same error.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I switched to OTA updates sometime ago!

I’ve done a few OTA updates but honestly I just need to let go of iTunes all together to make my life easier. It’s a habit I need to break especially since we own 12 Apple products in our household that all require updates which is a task all in itself.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234