Is now the time to go back to 4.7"???

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
So I had the iPhone 6 (4.7") and seethed with jealousy of the plus models walking around. Then the next year got a 6S Plus. But this thing is just too much. And I love to read on it and play real, battery draining, graphic intensive games (Order and Chaos 2, Modern Combat...etc...), but man alive is this a lot of giant pocket unwieldiness. Not to mention every case looks like a woman's wallet.

Is it time to drop back with the 7 to the 4.7"? Who has successfully made the switch without regret after owning each for a full year?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I honestly believe that the 4.7" iPhone is the perfect size in regard to handling and overall usage. Having said that, I wouldn't want to give up the extras that the Plus version has, especially battery life. In addition, the screen size of the Plus model is easier on my eyes...... Anyway, when the new iPhone goes on sale, buy the 4.7" model. You have two weeks to try it out and decide whether or not you should keep it or not.

rc81589

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the same boat. I love my 6s Plus but one handed use is a struggle. I was so set on going back to 4.7" on the iPhone 7 but the dual camera on the 7 Plus has me second guessing myself... In a perfect world, there'd be dual cameras on the 4.7" iPhone 7...

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately Apple has moved on from Steve Jobs' original singular device ideology and now have two very different devices that, for lack of better term, "compete" with each other. I personally would love to one day see a fully feature rich non-Plus iPhone, but that seems to be an unrealistic idea now that the lineup has evolved into what it is currently. The "Plus" will always be more than just a size bump, and that is unfortunate in my opinion because I heavily prefer the smaller framed iPhone for many reasons, but will never actually buy it because I refuse to purchase a watered down version of the device simply for size preference.

I'm still very much of the opinion that the "Plus" should have originally been called the "Pro", in similar fashion to their Macbook lineup, since it follows many of the enhancement approaches that the Macbook Pro's do compared to their standard counter parts.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've owned every model Note ever made (except the Note 7) every model iPhone ever made from day one.
I always swore I could never go back to a small screen, I traded in my Note 5 when the iPhone 6 Plus came out, but wow, the 6 Plus was way bigger than my Note 5 so I traded down to the iPhone 6, when 6S Plus came out I gave that a try again, but still couldn't get used to the huge bezels so I traded for the smaller 6S.
Getting used to the 6S was much easier than I thought and it became my size of choice,,,, but now the 7 Plus with the dual cameras is making this one a hard choice.
Cheers
Davyo

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've owned every model Note ever made (except the Note 7) every model iPhone ever made from day one.
I always swore I could never go back to a small screen, I traded in my Note 5 when the iPhone 6 Plus came out, but wow, the 6 Plus was way bigger than my Note 5 so I traded down to the iPhone 6, when 6S Plus came out I gave that a try again, but still couldn't get used to the huge bezels so I traded for the smaller 6S.
Getting used to the 6S was much easier than I thought and it became my size of choice,,,, but now the 7 Plus with the dual cameras is making this one a hard choice.
Cheers
Davyo

this, I really like the iPhone 7's features but I don't like the iPhone 7 Plus's size. yet again, I cannot buy an iPhone 7 knowing that the bigger brother has a much better camera and battery so I'll just skip buying the iPhone 7 entirely and stick to my Galaxy S7

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I could never adjust to the 6 plus a few years ago. But I really want the dual camera bc I take a ton of pics. I know if I got the plus, I'd return it before the 14 day window expires so will probably go with the 7.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I could never adjust to the 6 plus a few years ago. But I really want the dual camera bc I take a ton of pics. I know if I got the plus, I'd return it before the 14 day window expires so will probably go with the 7.

but you'd always wished you got the phone with the larger battery and dual cameras :(

I know how you feel man, I hate gigantic phones and I hate the fact that Apple puts more features in their bigger phones. I wish they all had the same features/specs, heck let them make the normal sized phones thicker instead of going all thin and give us a bigger battery and the awesome dual lense camera. I don't know who's idea was it in Apple that phones need to be as thin as a paper. I for one like a bit of heft on my phone and a bigger battery.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This is one you have to figure out for yourself. I use both sizes. Both work. The large screen and battery life are so useful that I have big phone as my workhorse. Associates who do similar work feel the opposite an only want a 6 with slim case. We're all correct in our reasoning.

:)

SkydiverTilt

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately Apple has moved on from Steve Jobs' original singular device ideology and now have two very different devices that, for lack of better term, "compete" with each other. I personally would love to one day see a fully feature rich non-Plus iPhone, but that seems to be an unrealistic idea now that the lineup has evolved into what it is currently. The "Plus" will always be more than just a size bump, and that is unfortunate in my opinion because I heavily prefer the smaller framed iPhone for many reasons, but will never actually buy it because I refuse to purchase a watered down version of the device simply for size preference.

I'm still very much of the opinion that the "Plus" should have originally been called the "Pro", in similar fashion to their Macbook lineup, since it follows many of the enhancement approaches that the Macbook Pro's do compared to their standard counter parts.

This really hits the nail on the head and is exactly how I feel. Owning all the iPhone's to date (one in each release anyway) I think I just have to suck it up so I can have the biggest, best one they make.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
but you'd always wished you got the phone with the larger battery and dual cameras :(

I know how you feel man, I hate gigantic phones and I hate the fact that Apple puts more features in their bigger phones. I wish they all had the same features/specs, heck let them make the normal sized phones thicker instead of going all thin and give us a bigger battery and the awesome dual lense camera. I don't know who's idea was it in Apple that phones need to be as thin as a paper. I for one like a bit of heft on my phone and a bigger battery.

Battery isn't an issue for me. I don't usually run out during the day. It's the camera that has me thinking and rethinking my decision.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Reading through the comments, seems to be along the same lines as the the size of the plus is just to big. The bazel on it is ridiculous. I've currently been using a s7 edge since switch carries and have gotten use to the larger screen, so I figured I shoot for the plus model this year.. Guess it will be trial and error.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Agree. I would be ok with them making a "pro" 4.7" model. Until they work to trim those bezels, the plus is just too large to comfortable be held for me. The plus is a huge device for a 5.5" screen. Apple should take notes from other OEM's on how to shrink the bezels.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Agree. I would be ok with them making a "pro" 4.7" model. Until they work to trim those bezels, the plus is just too large to comfortable be held for me. The plus is a huge device for a 5.5" screen. Apple should take notes from other OEM's on how to shrink the bezels.

I would rather have bigger bezels than be plagued by false touches, the plus is a much nicer phone imo and i have swapped back and forward a few times picking up a few $$ profit each time.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I honestly believe that the 4.7" iPhone is the perfect size in regard to handling and overall usage. Having said that, I wouldn't want to give up the extras that the Plus version has, especially battery life. In addition, the screen size of the Plus model is easier on my eyes...... Anyway, when the new iPhone goes on sale, buy the 4.7" model. You have two weeks to try it out and decide whether or not you should keep it or not.

Agreed! Portability vs Screen real-estate, you getting the best deal with the 'Standard iPhone model.

And since you now receive OIS on the standard model, all you getting in the plus model is some extra zoom. So i would go with the standard version. Its an awesome device ^_^

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1