iPhone too premium?

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It feels like it's so premium that it's super delicate and prone to scratches. Even though I have not ever dropped mines yet, there are scratches (tiny) on the silver chamfered edge. I only put it in my pocket with no other things. I guess it just does happen over team if you go naked. It's starting to make me feel like this "premium"-ness is quite a hassle, with me constantly worrying about the little marks on it. Say if someone owned a Galaxy Note 2 with its plastic back, it just feels more "safe" and less prone to scratches.

mgee85

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I have a screen protector and case on mine and it STILL managed to get a few scratches on the front! I've only had it a month, and make sure not to put it in my pocket with my keys. For something labelled as bulletproof and premium it really is quite fragile and I feel i want to wrap it up in bubble wrap! Guess we have to relax and let what will be will be and just enjoy the phone!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's aluminum so it's stronger than plastic.

The real problem is that the body is not anodized but rather the color is painted onto the aluminum. So it scratches off very easily. This is unlike say the iPod Mini of the past where the color did not come off.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about "too" premium, but it's certainly more premium (if that's even sensible) than the Note, which was mentioned specifically by the OP. I buy iPhones rather than Android phones, because iPhones are more substantial and don't feel cheap and plastic. If that is defined as premium, then the original answer is yes.

BTW, OP, I would definitely advise you not go dropping mines.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
i am really rough on my phones. if it feels to premium then i just wont be able to get one. lol

i have a commuter case on my personal phone and people get scared everytime i toss it on a table and it hits hard.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is a luxury item...and like any other luxury item, there is a certain way it should be treated and protected to prevent wear and tear. I don't really understand what you mean by "too premium", is a Porsche "too premium"? Would you take your Porsche to a run down gas station car wash like you would some beater daily driver?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Delicate or not, it's just my phone. I've already dropped the thing without a case
twice. I have dings on the side and broken glass on the back bottom portion. The
phone works just fine. It's just a phone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had a slim Speck case on my iPhone 5 since I got it and there are no scratches at all on it. OP, if you're worried about your iPhone getting scratched up, I would advise you to keep it in a case 24/7.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Delicate or not, it's just my phone. I've already dropped the thing without a case
twice. I have dings on the side and broken glass on the back bottom portion. The
phone works just fine. It's just a phone.

That's just the thing though...it's not "Just a phone", just like a Porsche is not "Just a car", both are luxury items on the upper epsilon of their particular totem pole.

This is "just a phone"...found at any truck stop, free with a pre-paid phone card.

41byQTNw8XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

kennethkilo

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I like Heisenberg's attitude towards it, it's just a phone. I think treating my phone like that will make me use it to an even fuller degree and completely enjoying it without constantly worrying about it.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I realize too that its simply a phone, but it's also my most cherished tangible possession. I've never had so much as a scratch on any of the generations I've owned. All it took was around $30 per phone and some common sense. Once you slap a screen protector and case on it, combined with a little care and simple thought, one should be able to use their phone without hesitance and use it to the fullest extent without any worry.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Tiny scratches on the bezel.... This means you are not taking as good of care as you think.

Please wait for Sean to give you a briefing on what proper care is and proper use of wording in these situations.

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T EVER SAY THAT YOU BABY YOUR PHONE !!!

Heads will roll.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I realize too that its simply a phone, but it's also my most cherished tangible possession. I've never had so much as a scratch on any of the generations I've owned. All it took was around $30 per phone and some common sense. Once you slap a screen protector and case on it, combined with a little care and simple thought, one should be able to use their phone without hesitance and use it to the fullest extent without any worry.

Good God man, how dare you be reasonable like that. It's shameful - really... (where's the sarcasm font... this place really needs a sarcasm font....?) :D

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
very good point and something I've been considering myself. A case is pretty much required for the iPhone...I remember a time when phones needed no cases...

However, with these new devices they are obviously SO much more than "just a phone". My life grinds to a halt without it.

So in the end, perhaps it does not matter how 'premium' the exterior is, there is really no excuse for not protecting your smartphone with a case anyway.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy the build quality of the iPhone 5, sure it scratches but at the end of the day it's a phone. I like to have some battle marks on my gear. Kind of makes it unique to me, like a scar or freckle :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77