iPhone 8: Thicker design, smaller bezel?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Some of the "leaked" renderings floating around show a slightly thicker profile with a much smaller bezel than we've seen in recent iPhones. It seems like Apple is giving up thinness in order to fit everything in the smaller form factor.

I, for one, would be more than happy to accept a thicker design in exchange for a smaller bezel. What are your thoughts?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You remember the Nokia 8250? That was the thinnest phone back in the day. And then came the first smartphones. They went bigger, thicker, thinner, smaller and then some.
If anything, the reality that history repeats itself is also true for the iPhone. It is an unavoidable thing that in order to achieve one thing, the other has to suffer.

I for one will not mind a thicker iPhone, if this means more power in both the battery life as in the capabilities of the next generation iPhone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would have to agree with both of you and gladly take a slightly thicker design in lieu of smaller bezels and larger screen size.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm more than happy to see a slightly thicker design if we get less bezels. Maybe in the process we will get a slightly bigger battery!

To me, as long as the device is under 9mm then I'm happy. We don't need things to be 7mm or less. Also, having a slightly thicker device allows apple to include more features. #WirelessCharing

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Agreed would welcome a slightly thicker device that would allow Apple to fit everything in and hopefully a better battery performance .

Pcrispy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm fine with a thicker iPhone no matter what. I definitely don't want/care about it being any thinner because it's already thinner than necessary. A thicker iPhone should mean more room for a better camera, electronics, display and battery (however I have no issues with current battery life). In addition, any thickness would also help prevent any chance of a careless person doing the things necessary to ever bend a phone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's funny how focused Apple has been on thinness when the overwhelming majority seem less concerned with it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Totally fine with that. It's not like it's gonna look like a brick or anything if it's a bit thicker.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Based on what they were seeing at the time, tech writers were saying it would be a tad thinner a few months ago. I never have been for the thinner iPhone. Slightly thicker is fine with me.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in for a slightly thicker iPhone with a higher screen to body ratio and bigger battery. I have never understood the fascination with making phones so thin. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a brick in my pocket, but slightly thinker to afford a slightly bigger battery is something most people would take.

brau0303

Trusted Member
May 2, 2017
Visit site
I prefer a smaller bezel, but there is a trade off as with all things. I could live with thicker for a smaller bezel.

Cheers,
BR

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I would like a slightly thicker phone to be caused by having a larger capacity battery. In reality smaller bezels would be a disadvantage to me, because already I seem to have thumb problems, particularly when tired they stray on to the screen, flipping pages, etc. Maybe top and bottom bezels could be reduced without causing too much of a user problem.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think thicker would bother me too much since I used a Nokia Lumia 920 for a long time and never minded its depth. However, I'm a bit surprised that Apple would make the iPhone 8 thicker when it's always moved toward making each subsequent iPhone thinner.

brian_84

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I've never been someone obsessed by size and by the time I've slapped a case on it I feel like all of Apple's efforts have been wasted anyway. However, I do care about bezels. It's unlike Apple to go backwards in any area of design but I won't be bothered by it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My favorite phone of all time is the Blackberry 7290, with the Motorola StarTac a close second. If the thickness of those two devices weren't a problem for me, a thicker iPhone won't be a problem either.

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Some of the "leaked" renderings floating around show a slightly thicker profile with a much smaller bezel than we've seen in recent iPhones. It seems like Apple is giving up thinness in order to fit everything in the smaller form factor.

I, for one, would be more than happy to accept a thicker design in exchange for a smaller bezel. What are your thoughts?
I agree. I think Apple's push to be smaller and thinner has lead to shortcomings in other areas.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad