iPhone 5 rattle?

timj007

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a clicking noise up top when shaking but there is a worse sound inside the case when it shaking. Taking it back to best buy this am

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have a clicking noise up top when shaking but there is a worse sound inside the case when it shaking. Taking it back to best buy this am

If it's a significant sound with some heft to it, it's the battery that's loose. Your local Apple store can fix that in 5 minutes.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If it's a significant sound with some heft to it, it's the battery that's loose. Your local Apple store can fix that in 5 minutes.

Jeremy I just stopped by apple. The rep seems confident that its the vibrate roter in the top of the phone located next to the camera flash. He said it is not a main concern however, nor is the loose power button.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if that's 100% the case but I just thought that info would be useful.

timj007

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Best buy put me on top of the waiting list. It may not hurt the performance of the phone but I know it will hurt the resale value of it

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I hear a very slight rattle which I'm positive is the wake button on top of the phone. My iPhone 4 did the exact same thing, and it never got any worse. No biggie, don't sweat it guys, just enjoy your phones.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Jeremy I just stopped by apple. The rep seems confident that its the vibrate roter in the top of the phone located next to the camera flash. He said it is not a main concern however, nor is the loose power button.

That is one possibility yes and I'm sure in some cases that is exactly what it is. And on the flip side of that coin it's a camera component, which has existed since the iPhone 3G/3GS. I will admit technically nothing is wrong but I still think that nothing should rattle inside the device. Guess it just depends on the individual and what they are willing to accept.

canguler87

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that thread! I asked it in another thread in this forum even after the unboxing of my device. It's coming from the upper right side and the sleep button doesnt change anything with me at all. Still have that voice.

It doesnt effect anything but at least knowing there is something like that can be enough for feeling uncomfortable about the shiny new device.. According to the answers from you guys, I'll decide if it would be worth to show to a genius or maybe change it..

floydstyle

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I am shaking mine even with holding home button and still can hear that tinny sound that something is loose. So that is not the home button, we'll see I guess :/

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
shaking mine holding the button no more sounds shake when button not pressed and hear a tiny rattle nothing to loud i am okay with it at this point.

abadgti

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

So are they saying its normal and not replacing the phone? I have an appointment tomorrow at MacArthur to see about getting a replacement. If it was normal I think ALL the iphone 5s would be doing it.

emozdashietxp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
ive had this on all 3 iphone 4/4s i had, in fact, when i got my iphone 5 in shipment yesterday, the first thing i checked was for the rattle LOL.

but yes, it's by the camera, i was told..my 5th time actually that it's the vibration motor. i went to the apple store anyways, just to stock up on some lightning cables :) first 2 times i heard the rattle i freaked out too. then i just accepted that it was the vibrate moto

D

Deleted member 233079

So are they saying its normal and not replacing the phone? I have an appointment tomorrow at MacArthur to see about getting a replacement. If it was normal I think ALL the iphone 5s would be doing it.

A friend and me got our iPhone 5s replaced. I'd rather have a non-rattling phone. I went through 4 replacements. First 2 rattled as well, an the 3rd he accidentally dropped it. Lol. But the genius was cool about it. Sorry if I pay $450 for a phone, I expect perfection. Take it in and demand you get one that doesn't rattle. They were out of boxed ones, but they definitely have "service phones" which are brand new obviously, no box, etc.

Also, reading back, I suspect my original issue was a lose battery as it was pretty loud.

timhagan123

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
It is the camera. The camera is held in by magnets. When it is in autofocus mode (which it is in usually) it will rattle if tapped by the camera lens.

Do this:

Use your camera function on autofocus mode.
Tap by the camera while it is out of focus or trying to focus. It will make a rattling noise.
Now tap it when it is focused on something. That rattle will go away.

This is part of an advanced camera system that can't be done any other way as of yet in such a tiny platform. It is the most advanced technology the world has at this point for a mobile phone camera.

Be grateful. If it all works, IT's FINE.

There is nothing wrong.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacker