IPad Air charger and IPhone 6s+

giggles88

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else has had an issue using their iPad chargers for quick charger. Been using mine since Friday, and just now my phone won't turn on and the Touch ID is scorching hot. Have it sitting on the counter now and hoping there isn't any lasting damage. So if anyone else has had issues such as this, guess I'm hoping for some potential good news from others experiences.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My guess it is completely unrelated. I use an iPad charger all the time on my 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giggles88

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm honestly stumped. It's been over an hour and the Touch ID is still hot and doesn't seem to be cooling off at all. Just wish an Apple Store was a lot closer to me.

FloridaG23

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Overtime it will be an issue because of the difference in output. The iPad charger will make the iPhone battery weaker overtime and cause constant power loss.. It's also listed in Apple.com forums.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Iphone6, 6 plus, 6s, and 6s plus charge faster on the iPad charger than the one that comes in the factory package. I have done this since I bought my 6plus last year and haven't had any charger related issues.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Overtime it will be an issue because of the difference in output. The iPad charger will make the iPhone battery weaker overtime and cause constant power loss.. It's also listed in Apple.com forums.

Hogwash. It will cause no ill effects...the 12W iPad chargers are listed on the Apple site as compatible with iPads, iPods and iPhones.

j0celyn

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I was using my iPad charger to charge my 6s+ but when I tried to charge it on Friday night, my phone didn't recognize the charger at all and I tried a different wall socket as well plugged the charger in the iPad which worked perfectly fine. I tried the charger that came with the phone and it took a minute for the phone to recognize that one. I set up a Genius Bar appointment just in case but I've just been using the original one since then.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
No issues...I've been using my iPad charger to charge my iPhone's since I had the 4s years ago with no problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtech21

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else has had an issue using their iPad chargers for quick charger. Been using mine since Friday, and just now my phone won't turn on and the Touch ID is scorching hot. Have it sitting on the counter now and hoping there isn't any lasting damage. So if anyone else has had issues such as this, guess I'm hoping for some potential good news from others experiences.

You can use an iPad brick to charge an iPhone but not an iPhone brick to charge an iPad. Therefore you are fine. It sounds like your phone needs some troubleshooting for the software and a diagnostics run to test the hardware.

As stated the iPad brick is 12 watts and works backwards to charge smaller devices but an iPhone brick is only 5 watts and does not have enough power to charge an iPad. I personally travel with one iPad brick as it works to charge more devices.

Call AppleCare for help. 800-APL-CARE, 800-275-2273

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been using my iPad charger since I had my 5s, 6 Plus and now I use it to charge my 6s Plus and I've had no problems.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else has had an issue using their iPad chargers for quick charger.

The 10W power adapter that comes with the iPad should be just fine. Apple even sells a 12W power adapter that is compatible specifically with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The 10W power adapter that comes with the iPad should be just fine. Apple even sells a 12W power adapter that is compatible specifically with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod.

All of the new iPads come with the 12W charger block. The 10W charger blocks were included with the original (and early) iPads, but are no longer offered by Apple. The only exception was the original iPad Mini which shipped with the 5W charger block.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

If that's true, by the time that happens the iPhone have already been upgraded. I've use the iPad charger on my 6+ for a whole year and did not noticed a dramatic drop in battery health.

Last edited:

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have used iPhone 5 watt cube to charge my iPad. It works if you are not at same time using iPad. It will take forever though.all night. Bought several 12 watt iPad chargers, use them for all devices. Charges iPhone 6s Plus from zero dead to full in under two hours.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

This is not true at all...in fact, when you look up the iPad charging bricks online, all of the lightning cable based iPhones are listed as capable on the spec list.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If that's true, by the time that happens the iPhone have already been upgraded. I've use the iPad charger on my 6+ for a whole year and now 6s+ dramatic drop in battery health.

Exactly, and just because someone says something in Apple forums doesn't make it right. Apple officially approves 12 watt iPad charger on all phones and iPads. The phone regulates how much current it accepts based on charge level. As it reaches 99-100% charge only a trickle charge that cycles on and off is going to the battery. So you can leave charger attached for extended times without any damage to phone or battery.

Since the iPhone 6, the phone can take full advantage of the higher wattage chargers. Prior iPhones would only accept up to 5-6 watts even with the 12 watt charger. However I and others had noted faster charging due to the extra capacity being able to run the phone while still providing full wattage to the battery. Remember the phone is still using it's radios, gps, for many functions while asleep.
The absolute fastest charge will happen if you either turn phone completely off while charging or set airplane mode so radios don't broadcast. And use the 12 watt iPad charger.

Apple engineers have made this bullet proof. User can't f this up. Only thing that will harm the Li ion battery is heat. If your phone is getting way hot, some app is hung up, or it's massively downloading resetting first day or so after setup. Beyond that it is possible to receive a defective unit which Apple will replace. Go to Apple Store if heating goes on for days.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
This is unrelated to the charger. It's an issue that's been reported by quite a few with no common scenario.

Only way to bring device back to life is with hard reset of power and home button.

Everyone is thinking it's a software issue but that's just what I've read...

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2