iOS 18 Developer Beta 1

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well that was wishful thinking lol! Hopefully down the line they’ll let us hide it. With that being said, this is a really nice update. I’m struggling to to do work because I want to play around with my phone LMAO

I hear ya, and that’s one of the reasons I took today off. I’m in my home office as we speak waiting for macOS Sequoia to finish downloading to my M1 Mac Mini. Once I’ve updated it, I will update my iPad Pro.

Today is supposed to be somewhat of a rain day so it’s a perfect day to tinker with the new updates.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a power option when swiping diagonally from the upper right corner of the display to reveal the Control Center. Has it always been there?

New_Off_Option.png

Reactions: nikkisharif

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is ok, so far (could be better but it got much worse previously, with some other iOS Betas), it feels snappier than iOS 17 Beta too and I think it's a bigger upgrade, in my opinion, than iOS 16 to 17 was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just_Me_D

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone checked out the action button? I believe there are new functions that can be added to it. I’m not on the beta… just living vicariously through all of you!

I’ve always kept it as default for mute so I don’t even know what options were there previously.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Installed yesterday (in addition to iPadOS18 and watchOS11, although I am holding off on downloading macOS Sequoia until it has a stable build).

Some initial feedback/bugs/suggestions I have so far:
  1. When you apply an app icon color/tint, it applies throughout the OS, but is not focus-specific. So my driving focus, for example, looks good with tinted icons, but I like the normal “dark” icons when I don’t have a focus activated, and the light icons when my “work” focus is activated. I am finding that once you change the icons in any focus or in no focus, they don’t “pair” with the focus, so you have to go back into “edit homescreen” -> “customize” to change the icons again.
  2. When you have the icons “tinted” it also tints all of the widgets. This is fine for widgets like weather, but it looks horrible on widgets like photos, where a photo will show up tinted.
  3. Suggestion: dark/light/automatic modes should pair with focuses as well. I like my no focus always dark, but my work focus to be set to “automatic” (light during the day, dark at sundown), etc.
As far as beta 1s go, this is actually running quite smoothly and I haven’t yet found an app that has crashed or is unusable yet!

Reactions: ladyc0524

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
77fd6cb8e793a82be03de1a92a820e7f.jpeg

It’s definitely buggy but for it being a big update and a beta 1, that’s to be expected.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Installed yesterday (in addition to iPadOS18 and watchOS11, although I am holding off on downloading macOS Sequoia until it has a stable build).

Some initial feedback/bugs/suggestions I have so far:
  1. When you apply an app icon color/tint, it applies throughout the OS, but is not focus-specific. So my driving focus, for example, looks good with tinted icons, but I like the normal “dark” icons when I don’t have a focus activated, and the light icons when my “work” focus is activated. I am finding that once you change the icons in any focus or in no focus, they don’t “pair” with the focus, so you have to go back into “edit homescreen” -> “customize” to change the icons again.
  2. When you have the icons “tinted” it also tints all of the widgets. This is fine for widgets like weather, but it looks horrible on widgets like photos, where a photo will show up tinted.
  3. Suggestion: dark/light/automatic modes should pair with focuses as well. I like my no focus always dark, but my work focus to be set to “automatic” (light during the day, dark at sundown), etc.
As far as beta 1s go, this is actually running quite smoothly and I haven’t yet found an app that has crashed or is unusable yet!
I’ve been on my M1 Mac Mini running macOS Sequoia pretty much all day today and I’ve not run into any issues yet. Can you tell me the issues you heard about?

Reactions: SaMaster14

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is ok, so far (could be better but it got much worse previously, with some other iOS Betas), it feels snappier than iOS 17 Beta too and I think it's a bigger upgrade, in my opinion, than iOS 16 to 17 was.
I didn’t expect the battery life to be as good as it is on my iPhone after installing iOS 18, but I’m grateful that it is.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been on my M1 Mac Mini running macOS Sequoia pretty much all day today and I’ve not run into any issues yet. Can you tell me the issues you heard about?

I haven’t heard of any specific issues, but my MacBook Pro being my “main” computer, I was just going to wait on a public beta or more stable build.

I’m also dependent on being able to use the Office Suite of apps and Parallels desktop to run Windows 11, and have had some trouble with they working properly on other beta 1’s until the 3rd party devs can test and then update the apps.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’ve always kept it as default for mute so I don’t even know what options were there previously.
In iOS17, in addition to silent mode, the options are camera, flashlight, translate, magnifier, accessibility feature and “no action”. There are also shortcuts that allow you to have multiple options… but Shortcuts are intimidating! 😅

Reactions: SaMaster14

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
In iOS17, in addition to silent mode, the options are camera, flashlight, translate, magnifier, accessibility feature and “no action”. There are also shortcuts that allow you to have multiple options… but Shortcuts are intimidating!

Looks like there is now additionally focus (pick a focus or bring up the menu for all focus options), voice memo, Shazam (recognize music), and controls (pick one control from the control center to activate, e.g., dark mode toggle, calculator, stopwatch, etc.).

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is surprisingly impressive and actually better than the previous GM of iOS.

I’m honestly wondering if it’s “game mode” that is helping out here, since games do usually drain battery quickly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ninjja