Indoor Walk Workout Exercise Minutes Not Recorded

HandyMatt

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
I walked for 55:50 and covered 2.52 miles. Recorded 280 active calories. Average pace was 22’09”/mile. Average heart rate listed at 98 BPM. What is required before exercise minutes are tracked?

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I don’t know if this is the case here, but I’ve used that workout setting when I cover long distances with lunges or if I’m cooling down. I’ve noticed if you aren’t moving fast enough, it doesn’t count towards the exercise ring.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Sharing a few ideas that may help.

Health App\Activity\About Activity section mentions "brisk activity" as tracked for Exercise. As Alex mentioned above, maybe the pace and BPM didn't meet the Health App's algorithm minimum threshold for "brisk" to be considered Exercise Minutes?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941 mentions that Wrist Detection needs to be enabled for "Background heart rate readings (like resting and walking rates) won't be taken if Wrist Detection is off."

Or perhaps the Activity App did not sync the Exercise minutes to the Health App?

Another thought is that perhaps "Workout Power Saving Mode" is enabled in the Apple Watch app. If that's the case, then maybe the Exercise Minutes were not captured as thoroughly compared to when the "Workout Power Saving Mode" is set to disabled. Similarly there is a "Power Saving Mode" in the Apple Watch app Workout settings.

If you have AppleCare, may not hurt to call or chat with Support to see if they know about any problems, or settings required to record the minutes.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In my experience when I was recovering from injury, an outdoor walk did not record green ring minutes unless I was walking faster than about 19:15 per mile. (It's hard to tell exactly, but I had almost all green ring minutes on a walk that had most miles about that fast or faster, but when I was first starting out, and I was going about 19:30 to 19:45, I had very few green ring minutes.) It's possible that everyone is different, though, based on age, height, weight, and heart rate (though heart rate only if you are doing a workout 0 it doesn't use heart rate as an indicator of effort unless you are doing a workout.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77