Image Gallery questions

Nesdam1981

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. I?m new to iPhone and iMore so I?m sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
I recently bought the iPhone 6, previous iPhone was the 4S but I got rid of that due to the small size. Now I?m back and have a question about the gallery.

I?m an amateur photographer and like to keep my images sorted in folders. I know I can add pictures to different galleries and all that. My concern is when I sync my iPhone to iTunes with the folders I want there is no way to edit or delete pictures in those galleries without having to make a duplicate or delete them from the folder on my PC and then sync again. And keeping a copy of every folder on my PC just for iTunes syncing is not an option.

So the question is if there is another way to add pictures to the iPhone without using iTunes (like copy paste from directly from the PC using the iPhone as a drive)? If not, why? This has always been a deal-breaker for me, the locked system and lack of options... Or do I have to jailbreak (I?d rather not but will if I must) to unlock more features?

There, a lot of questions and I?m sorry if these have been answered before.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I'm not even sure what it is your asking. So I will tell you what I do with my photos. I don't use iTunes to store or back up my photos. I use ProCamera 8 to take my photos. It's a great iPhone camera. I use it and Camera+ to edit my photos. I store most of my photos in cloud based apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. Those apps offer a lot of features and options, including syncing to the computer. The photos I currently have on my phone in the Photos app are backed up in iCloud. That's what I do. Others do it differently. I don't use a computer much, but it sounded like you're making it more difficult than it is. Hopefully someone will come along and help you sort out your issue.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Nesdam1981

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.
I use OneDrive as my main backup source. My concern is not backup or anything like that. It?s that pictures synced from iTunes can not be deleted or edited in the iPhone. I have pictures stored on my PC that I backed up before switching phones. And when transferred via iTunes sync the options are very limited on what I can do with them on the phone.
I would download them all from OneDrive but, since both OneDrive and Dropbox can?t download multiple pictures at once that is not an option right now. I have more than 500 pictures I want access to directly from the phone. Problem is that I don?t need all the pictures in a folder and I can?t delete pictures on the phone if synced with iTunes. I know it?s hard to understand and maybe I?m just to spoiled with Androids open system.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Short answer: No.

iOS devices are not designed to be media organizers,they are media consumption devices. The iPhone (and iPad) are designed to get their content from iTunes (or now, optionally iCloud) and provide it to you. If you want your media (be it photos, videos, music, whatever) within the native apps to be organized in any particular way, you need to do that organization on the source device that contains your primary library. In this case, that would be your desktop/laptop with iTunes.

As a photographer, you should know that you should not keep all your photos in one place. You should have them stored and backed up in multiple locations, such as your desktop/laptop as your primary storage and workspace, an external drive and/or cloud service for backup, and then use your iThing for display.

Do your organization on the desktop/laptop in folders (PC) or iPhoto (Mac), and have iTunes sync accordingly.

Or use a third party photo app, if you can find one you like. The rules are different with third party applications.

Nesdam1981

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. Trust me, I have everything backed up and backed up the backups =)
I found a third party app that I?m using for now. Never found myself a friend to the whole iTunes ecosystem. I?m gonna stay away from that as far as it is possible. Cloud storage will do for now. Got 1 TB on OneDrive =P

"iOS devices are not designed to be media organizers"
I can understand that. But organization is also a user friendly way of handling your private stuff on the go (in this case photos). Something Apple should consider since they are all about user friendly OS. Just my opinion and OT.

Thanks again for the answers guys. Much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77