If my iMac is connected to the internet via both WiFi and Ethernet is that a problem?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
If my iMac is connected to the internet via both WiFi and Ethernet is that a problem? I feel if possible, being hardwired is always better than WiFi but it seems the ability to “unlock with Apple Watch” needs the WiFi connection.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: WiFi, Ethernet or both...

There is no harm in doing this. There are no other benefits of having both than unlock with Watch, though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: WiFi, Ethernet or both...

If my iMac is connected to the internet via both WiFi and Ethernet is that a problem? I feel if possible, being hardwired is always better than WiFi but it seems the ability to “unlock with Apple Watch” needs the WiFi connection.

No sir, it is not. I’m connected in that manner every day while at work. One connection will override the other.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Well it depends how you use it. If you’re using it at home then most likely not. If you’re at work it will depend how the network is set up. Where I work the Wifi is provides to clients and outside users so it is separate from our LAN. When our users are connected through both it sometimes will cause havoc with their network mappings. If you’re at home ofcourse none of that matters. You could always test it if you’re worried. Just go to speedtest.net and test the speed connected to both then only on ethernet. See if there is any difference and there’s your answer.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
No harm. As mentioned above, one connection will trump the other. You can set your service order and determine which connection you'd rather have as your primary. By default, I believe the ethernet connection will over-ride.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1