• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iCall -Transfer GSM call to WiFI

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
If this works as advertised this will be my #1 app.

I've never had AT&T, but I've heard the coverage suffers in comparison with Verizon and Sprint. But if this baby is for real this could be a non issue. The question is whether you can initiate a call while on wireless not just transfer from GSM? Also this will be an Apple approved app.

Check out the video.

iCall - Free iPhone VoIP

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I guess coverage is all a matter of location. Here in Chicago I've never had poorer service than I did with Sprint. At&t has been awesome for me. Not a single coverage issue what so ever. I still have a hard time believeing that this app will get approved on At&t's side. Suppose we will see soon enough. At least it will be interesting.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
AT&T has great service in my home... BUT I like the idea of it not using my minutes. I would love to talk to long distance friends without racking up a bill on my home phone. I love the seamless transfer too. Very impressed. Although what are the chances this will come to fruition?
I don't think they are high. So sad.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
For me, I have over 2000 rollover minutes racked up on top of an 850 minute free nights and weekends plan. I don't worry much about wasting my minutes, and as far as service is concerned, there is no where in Chicagoland where I have not had service.

It's also a plus that my entire surrounding area is covered by 3G.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
yah i actually saw a video of this and thought COOL. I would love to see something like this in the app store and i can guarantee it would be a number one app. This way apple wouldnt have to worry about the reception barrier . This way everyone with wifi could have an iphone

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i'd like to see this integrated the other way too, initiate a call on VOIP and transfer to GSM as well...

my concern is that you need to sign up for their service to do this... which i do NOT know to be true, but it would be a concern of mine...

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
That would be excellent I live in a brick apartment and get no reception, so I was just going to use call forwarding from cell--->home phone, but I was told you use your cell minutes for the whole duration of the call, mobile to mobile doesn't apply, even from att customers calling, and they have no unlimited plan anymore...But it will solve the no reception at home dilemma for me. But this would be 100000000 times better, especially if it doesn't use your minutes...anyone know?

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
This would be great. Before getting really excited about it I would need to know the cost of the service. If it is even kinda expensive then it is not really worth it. To go along with this, a Skype app on the iPhone would be very useful.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
This would be great. Before getting really excited about it I would need to know the cost of the service. If it is even kinda expensive then it is not really worth it. To go along with this, a Skype app on the iPhone would be very useful.

According to their FAQ:

Q: Is iCall really free?
A: Yes! There is no cost or hidden charge to use iCall to make or receive phone calls.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I have horrible signal in my house on Verizon which blows (in San Jose, CA- 1 million people hello Verizon, can we get a decent signal?), and if I switch to AT&T for the iPhone, it looks like I won't even have to worry if my coverage sucks or not (even though I'm in "Best" on AT&T's coverage map). Not only can you save minutes and use a real phone for VoIP and extend coverage in a sense, being able to transfer is just sweet.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I'm transferring from VZW to AT&T to get the iPhone 3G and iCall (or some other free VOIP app) is going to be HUGE for me. Since I'm going to be paying through the nose for ETFs and the actual iPhone purchase price and activation, etc., being able to select a low cost plan and then still use the phone over WiFi is the thing that will make this all work out for me financially. I too am wondering if GSM to WiFi is the only way the switch can be made, it'd be great if I could also transfer outgoing calls to WiFi and transfer WiFi calls to GSM. Initiating WiFi calls I think is a given with this, if not then they've got a serious flaw in their software.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin