• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

I don’t get Verizon.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Why would I do that when I can get a SIM unlocked directly from Apple that can be used on any carrier. Verizon can keep their A2412. I'll pass.

Isn't Verizon's model the A2342 just like the sim unlocked from Apple?

Also, what's wrong with purchasing it directly from Apple? Is there something you're trying to avoid?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would I do that when I can get a SIM unlocked directly from Apple that can be used on any carrier. Verizon can keep their A2412. I'll pass.

I was under the impression you didn’t want to purchase from Apple. Verizon iPhones are unlocked and have been for years and that is why I recommended purchasing from it.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It appears some carriers (Xfinity) are taking advantage of esim so any device on EIP cannot be used on another carrier or transferred.
I agree, no need to buy from a carrier UNLESS there is an incentive resulting in lower purchase price. There are always gotchas, i.e. BOGOs which IMHO are very misleading!

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I just bought three 5G iPhones and I don’t pay anything extra for 5G. If I was to get the 5G UW band then it’s an extra fee. But I’m not charged for the regular 5G.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Here's the bottom line regarding my relationship with Verizon. If they didn't give me 21% off my voice plan for working at a General Motors automobile dealership...I would kiss them goodbye in a heartbeat. Yes, the service is good...but I have caught them jacking up my bill more times than I can count.

gjh1978

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Verizon corporate employees are essentially no longer being paid commission on upgrades. That said, they are being paid to drive customers to higher unlimited plans. So you simply had an employee trying to make a dime off of you. I started buying devices unlocked from Apple several years ago. It's not worth it to deal with the stores.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
That doesn’t make any sense. I literally just chatted a Verizon rep because I’m looking to upgrade my iPhone X to a 12 model as well and he did say that it was NOT necessary to change phone plans.

I also had this concern because I didn’t want to pay more for our plan. As I figured, the rep said when I receive the phone at home, to just take the sim out of my X and put it into the 12 model(which ever I choose).

If you’re already on a newer plan then it’s not. There’s a code change on the back end I believe but the plan itself doesn’t change.

I went from a 11 Pro to a 12 Pro and my plan changed only in that I got a few extra perks such as Hulu. Pricing stayed the exact same.

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I just walked into a Verizon store to trade in my iPhone X 256gb for an iPhone 12 Pro Max 512gb phone. To purchase and use the iPhone 12, I am required to sign up for a new 5g plan that costs $40 more per month than what I’m paying now for the top unlimited 4g plan. I’m in upstate NY where there is no 5G and will be no 5G network for a couple of years. I really don’t get this. Verizon was kind enough to suggest that I purchase a 4G iPhone 11 instead. I’m not sure there is a point to upgrading, and I really wanted the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Oh well.

That is not good. I was in AT&T I wanted out since a while and since I already paid off my iPhone X since 2019 I was already dire of a new phone.... Well T-Mobile was offering its special rebate credit for those who trade there current iPhone for the IP12PM and well I did the jump from AT&T to Tmobile and I am only pay $5 more than I was in AT&T the credit for my IPX was $850 where else would they give me that much they gave me $212 upfront and the rest in credits for 30 months (which is what I was in with AT&T while paying the IPX) and I have 5G with them no upcharge!

Please check T-Mobile before choosing Verizon my wife has Verizon and been telling to come to T-Mobile, T-Mobile has stepped up big time compared to when I was with them in 2010.

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Same with AT&T

AT&T overcharges you big time, was with them 10 years and didn't want to offer me a deal similar T-Mobile was offering.... TMobile gave me $850 rebate for my IPX 256GB $212 upfront and rest in credit for 30 months.... Technically I didn't spend for my IP12PM. o well

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has little or no 5g coverage and charging people for the latest LTE is a joke. I left verizon after 27 years went to AT&T who was more of a theif and ended up with Tmobile and couldn't be happier. I get 5g almost everywhere and the speeds are awesome can't go wrong.

Yea unfortunately AT&T is similar to Verizon have so many fees and charges. They wouldn't even offer me a upgrade to IP12PM after I already had my IPX paid off for a little more of a year. They would send me emails for upgrades but what they would be offering for my IPX was a slap to the face price seriously... And when I cancelled they overcharged me. Made excuses and only gave me $20 credit lol. Anyhow T-mobile offered me $850 rebate for my IPX and got the IP12PM and got 5G almost everywhere also.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
That is not good. I was in AT&T I wanted out since a while and since I already paid off my iPhone X since 2019 I was already dire of a new phone.... Well T-Mobile was offering its special rebate credit for those who trade there current iPhone for the IP12PM and well I did the jump from AT&T to Tmobile and I am only pay $5 more than I was in AT&T the credit for my IPX was $850 where else would they give me that much they gave me $212 upfront and the rest in credits for 30 months (which is what I was in with AT&T while paying the IPX) and I have 5G with them no upcharge!

Please check T-Mobile before choosing Verizon my wife has Verizon and been telling to come to T-Mobile, T-Mobile has stepped up big time compared to when I was with them in 2010.

Also make sure you check the network coverage where you will be using your device. T-Mobile don’t have good coverage everywhere. I was with them for 6 years before switching to Verizon and the service is like night and day. I went on vacation to Florida for 2 weeks, and being the only one with T-Mobile, had no service in the house and had to drive a mile from the house to get service. If it wasn’t for WiFi, I would’ve been short. If you plan to switch to any other carrier, it’s always best to check out their network coverage map before jumping ship to them.

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Also make sure you check the network coverage where you will be using your device. T-Mobile don’t have good coverage everywhere. I was with them for 6 years before switching to Verizon and the service is like night and day. I went on vacation to Florida for 2 weeks, and being the only one with T-Mobile, had no service in the house and had to drive a mile from the house to get service. If it wasn’t for WiFi, I would’ve been short. If you plan to switch to any other carrier, it’s always best to check out their network coverage map before jumping ship to them.

My wife has Verizon and where we went she had no service and I did 🤷🏻*♂️ Also T-Mobile also got new coverage areas with the merger of Sprint. Both of pros and cons. Best coverage is att and then Verizon but T-Mobile is quickly catching up or probably is already caught up.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman