• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

I don’t get Verizon.

Daedalus

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site
Odd, popped my old sim into my New 12Pro Max and I got the text message about getting the 5G sim. I was still connecting and pulling 5g speeds but I was in their low band freq but it was still faster than LTE. I went to the store checked in told them I needed the new 5G sim they brought one out scanned it and handed it to me and sent me on my way.

No account changes here.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, I think the rep you spoke with may have been referring to mmWave 5G, not sub6 5G to which Verizon just recently flipped the ON switch. Verizon’s mmWave 5G does require additional add on costs. The Sub6 5G does not.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You didn’t have to scan a QR code at all? In the past I’ve had them email me the code after I’ve given them the digital IMEI because we have to physically activate it through the cellular settings.

Nope, I asked about the QR code and he said they don't do that any more. Just digital (esim) IEMI is all they need. And it did work. It took about 20 minutes to activate and he said that delay is due to the high load on activation services due to iPhone release day. Of course that is to be expected.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I picked up the iPhone 12 Pro at the Apple Store, the genius who assisted me told me the 5G SIM was already included. When I got home and logged into Verizon, the phone was listed among my other devices. Moments later, it was activated and I didn’t have to talk or chat with any Verizon rep.

I was out driving and noticed the 5G status at the top of the screen. I don’t see it when I’m at home, though - only LTE.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
To the OP, I think the rep you spoke with may have been referring to mmWave 5G, not sub6 5G to which Verizon just recently flipped the ON switch. Verizon’s mmWave 5G does require additional add on costs. The Sub6 5G does not.

Verizon's Ultra Wideband is mmWave. But more areas will see the lower band 5G, at least for a while. Verizon will show the lower band as "5G", and the mmWave Ultra Wideband as "5G UW". I don't have 5G at all in my area yet, but I'm ready when it does come.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
We didn’t have to change plans when upgrading. At first, that was my main concern too.

However after checking our old 2017 unlimited for 3 phones, vs their new play more and do more plans, we did make the switch. One of us got the Play more and the other two Do more. Costs $5 more a month but will ultimately save us about $20 a month between the free Disney+(was gonna start paying after the free year) and free Hulu(already was paying for that), plus the half price add on fees for my watch and iPad.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
We didn’t have to change plans when upgrading. At first, that was my main concern too.

However after checking our old 2017 unlimited for 3 phones, vs their new play more and do more plans, we did make the switch. One of us got the Play more and the other two Do more. Costs $5 more a month but will ultimately save us about $20 a month between the free Disney+(was gonna start paying after the free year) and free Hulu(already was paying for that), plus the half price add on fees for my watch and iPad.

I had upgraded all 4 of my lines to the Play More plan around August. Then later on, my son upgraded his phone. He also upgraded his line to the Get More plan. And somehow, my line also upgraded to Get More. I didn't request it. My son said he didn't do it. But after looking it over, I decided to keep it. Then Verizon sort of got our lines confused, and my son had problems with the Disney+ bundle. It's all good now though.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my supposed Verizon fix was short lived. At the moment I'm on a long call with higher tier support and the woman said my phone is another one of the phone/line upgrades that didn't get a setting propagated as should have been the case and she's fixing it. Actually having the phone off while she's looking and refreshing to see if their infrastructure has the changes.

I would not be surprised if similar issues are there with other carriers based on work experience. There we have a delivery fleet, and in past I've worked with other carriers.

I've been on phone with Verizon for close to an hour now and the woman also said a switch near my home and office was worked on yesterday and could be why the voice call problems are back. What I can paraphrase from being a network engineer in other realms is she's corrected something for my new phone switch, and is pushing an update to their network.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I got my iPhone 12 Pro from Apple a few weeks back, plugged in my SIM, and got the message to install a 5G SIM card. A Verizon Store swapped the SIM card to a 5G card at no cost, but I did not upgrade to 5G service. My loyalty plan is $40 less expensive each month, and there is no 5G near me. My phone works fine. My guess is that once 5G rolls out here, there no longer will be an up charge.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I got my iPhone 12 Pro from Apple a few weeks back, plugged in my SIM, and got the message to instal a 5G SIM card. A Verizon Store swapped the SIM card to a 5G card at no cost, but I did not upgrade to 5G service. My loyalty plan is $40 less expensive each month, and there is no 5G near me. My phone works fine. My guess is that once 5G rolls out here, there no longer will be an up charge.

There are 5G Nationwide network and 5G Ultra Wideband network plans. None of our personal or the many business phones have any uncharge or plan changes for 5G Nationwide.

After just spending nearly an hour with Verizon upper tier support the woman confirmed that again.

My latest fix from Verizon frustrated me in that I had to do a network setting reset but after pushing a setting and watching my phone do AAA she said my problem should be fixed.

The woman warned me there is a lot of construction and upgrade going on near my home and main work site and until that's done I might still notice issues from it. When I've been in a few spots and the general area 85 mi away the 5G Nationwide has been fantastic.

If your phone is up to date be aware of your 12 cellular settings. There's the 5G on, 5G Auto, and LTE. Also Allow More Data on 5G, Standard and Low Data Mode. It could be some who are complaining about a lack of performance with a test app or site have that because of settings choices.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has little or no 5g coverage and charging people for the latest LTE is a joke. I left verizon after 27 years went to AT&T who was more of a theif and ended up with Tmobile and couldn't be happier. I get 5g almost everywhere and the speeds are awesome can't go wrong.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I also have Verizon and they did not make me change my plan when I preordered last Friday. That person didn’t know what they’re talking about.

Nope. That person knew EXACTLY what they were talking about They are on commission...times are tough, and they were trying to up-sell you, hoping you were clueless.

Sad, but probably true.

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has little or no 5g coverage and charging people for the latest LTE is a joke. I left verizon after 27 years went to AT&T who was more of a theif and ended up with Tmobile and couldn't be happier. I get 5g almost everywhere and the speeds are awesome can't go wrong.

ATT are thiefs big time! Was with them for 10 years! Now moved to T-Mobile and loving it!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Verizon is one big cash grab. 5G should've been bundled free in their plans, like T-Mobile, but greedy corporations will always be greedy.

At least we get "free" Hulu and Disney+. (eyeroll)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Except for the mm wave, there are no extra charges with Verizon. T-Mobile fine print says "While 5G access won't require a certain plan or feature, some uses/services might." where my understanding from our business rep is that's their "high band". I realize people can have love for a carrier but don't get a wrong impression.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Let’s face it, Verizon is more expensive - just a fact of life. To me it is definitely NOT worth it.

I'm glad you qualified "to me" but two things stand out. For family we assessed alternatives and didn't find any true bargains with good networks. For my job - senior IT admin & network manager - the coverage and service stand out.

I re-assess periodically but keep coming back. At work in S. WI, upper midwest we've tried other carriers. We had to move phones back to Verizon for delivery, exec and logistics staff to get the reliability they need.

Also for the personal re-assessing I found other carriers also have additional fees or fine print reserving the right for fees for the super fast or mm wave 5G.

There's a price but Verizon will remain much like other first tier products I purchase - just have to pay the price to get what your circumstances demand. I'm not that far from retirement and my kids will be out of the house soon enough so I might switch then.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Buy unlocked from Apple and use your existing sim card.
They will text you that you need a 5G sim but they can't hotline it (shut down service).
You must have an older plan. When I upgraded to family unlimited it includes 5G.

Is their any other way to buy a phone lol. I only buy SIM unlocked phones. Buying phones from a carrier does not make any sense whatsoever.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is their any other way to buy a phone lol. I only buy SIM unlocked phones. Buying phones from a carrier does not make any sense whatsoever.

Sure. Go to Verizon, buy it outright and tell them you don’t want it activated.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman