How to recover photos/data from frozen ipad mini?

shannons11

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
My father was having problems with apps locking up on his ipad mini (original, wifi). He tried clearing some memory, because his memory was near completely full, by using some sort of battery app. Well afterwords it was still showing the memory hadn't changed so he tried to reboot the ipad. The ipad never powered back up fully. It got stuck on the apple logo and wont shut down unless forced with the power+home button option. Now when you try to hard reset it or power it back on it just is stuck at the apple logo. I have tried to update the software 3 times by connecting it to itunes using the forced method of holding down the home button and plugging in the cable. Itunes says it successfully updates the software, but when it tries to reboot after the update it is still stuck on the apple logo. I even tried updating by downloading the latest firmware manually and it does the same thing. I have also tried the safe mode method by holding down the volume up, even though the ipad is not jailbroken. I don't know what else to do. I am trying to rescue his photos and data without restoring and erasing everything because he never backed up the ipad. I think the ipad's memory is too full to fully boot back up?. Any suggestions to save his photos etc. would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When you connect the device to iTunes, I assume it recognizes it since you said it successfully updates the software. Having said that, connect the device to iTunes and then do an iTunes backup. After that, put the device in DFU mode, and have iTunes download and install a fresh full copy of the latest official iOS version your device can take. When finished, you can either set it up as a new device or restore from the backup you made. If that still doesn’t fix the problem, make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose and possibly fix the problem for you.

shannons11

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
I can only get it to connect to iTunes in Recovery Mode and update that way. Otherwise it is not detected by itunes or the devices/ drives of the computer and wont power on all the way. It just gets stuck at the startup apple logo and is frozen there and has to be force shutdown using power and home button.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sislik