How can move HEIC (.heic) photos and HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov) videos from iPhone8plus to PC?

suomalainenmikkeli

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
How can move HEIC (.heic) photos and HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov) videos from iPhone8plus to PC? I want files will remain HEIC and HEVC-encoded MOV also in PC.

I have used setting in iphone:

"High Efficiency: saves photos as HEIC (.heic) files and videos as HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov) files"

But when I connect phone to PC by caple, and look files which I have inside my phone, all my photos are JPG not HEIC. It is same both Windows7 and Windows10. My phone have changed file system? Videos are only (.mov) so I can't see are its HEVC-encoded MOV or not. Also H.264 have same file ending: .mov

How I can save my photos to computer as HEIC (.heic) and videos in HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov)? I don't want its will change files automatically to JPG (.jpg) and H.264 (.mov) files.

And why PC show my Iphone DCIM file take only 74 Gt because it also show Internal Storage in phone take almost 200 Gt. I can also see in my phone that videos and photos take almost 200 Gt.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
How can move HEIC (.heic) photos and HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov) videos from iPhone8plus to PC? I want files will remain HEIC and HEVC-encoded MOV also in PC.

I have used setting in iphone:

"High Efficiency: saves photos as HEIC (.heic) files and videos as HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov) files"

But when I connect phone to PC by caple, and look files which I have inside my phone, all my photos are JPG not HEIC. It is same both Windows7 and Windows10. My phone have changed file system? Videos are only (.mov) so I can't see are its HEVC-encoded MOV or not. Also H.264 have same file ending: .mov

How I can save my photos to computer as HEIC (.heic) and videos in HEVC-encoded MOV (.mov)? I don't want its will change files automatically to JPG (.jpg) and H.264 (.mov) files.

And why PC show my Iphone DCIM file take only 74 Gt because it also show Internal Storage in phone take almost 200 Gt. I can also see in my phone that videos and photos take almost 200 Gt.

Apple's new file system automatically transfers using the file system the platform you are transferring to uses. I don't believe Windows uses the HEIC yet so they'll automatically be transferred to jpeg. You may can find a photo management app that will read HEIC files and transfer them into that instead.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple's new file system automatically transfers using the file system the platform you are transferring to uses. I don't believe Windows uses the HEIC yet so they'll automatically be transferred to jpeg. You may can find a photo management app that will read HEIC files and transfer them into that instead.

There is software on Windows that supports HEIC and HEVC without conversion. The only way to get these files out is by going into your Photos Library directly and pulling the files from there, or by going to iCloud.com and downloading the Originals from there.

Transcoding from HEIC to JPEG still reduces quality, which is why some people may want to get the originals easily.

In attempt to be "easy to use," Apple actually makes the Photo Library an absolutely nightmare for people who want direct access to the original photo/video data. This is even a nightmare to work with on macOS - anything you drag out of Photos (to the Desktop, for example) is automatically transcoded, so you basically HAVE to use iCloud.com (even on an iMac) to have any easy access to your Originals (by downloading them... again...).

iCloud for Windows isn't going to do it if Apple's own software on their own platform fails to address this.

tai4de2

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
The setting you want is in Settings->Photos. Scroll to the bottom and find the section labeled "Transfer to Mac or PC" and make sure that "Keep Originals" is checked. (If "Automatic" is checked, the phone will advertise .jpg files to your PC, even if the files are actually .heic.)

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The only way to reliably get the originals is to dig through the library or go to iCloud.com. That phone switch is volatile and different Apple Photos interfaces are different in the way they handle this.

Even on my Mac, I use the website to get originals, because Photos doesn’t let you drag them out of the app. Digging in the container is not fun if you take lots of photos and videos (interface doesn’t easily expose file names or directory structure in the container).

Does iPhoto still work on Sierra?

tai4de2

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
This is simply not true. On Windows one can open File Explorer to view the phone's photos directories, which will contain original .heic files (if the setting I described in a previous post is configured as I described).

suomalainenmikkeli

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
The setting you want is in Settings->Photos. Scroll to the bottom and find the section labeled "Transfer to Mac or PC" and make sure that "Keep Originals" is checked. (If "Automatic" is checked, the phone will advertise .jpg files to your PC, even if the files are actually .heic.)

Thank you for your advice! It worked! I transferred my photos and videos through PC to external memory. Now almost all photos are still HEIC. Some (maybe 5 %) photos are now JPG. But almost all are still HEIC. I don't understand those 5 %, but it is not so important. I think videos are still HEVC-encoded MOV, as its should be. I think so because photos remain HEIC, and videos took same space (200 Gt) as its was taken in iPhone memory. I think if its will convert its take twice time more space.

It is interesting that when I put "Keep Originals" setting to Iphone, there was a new file under internal storage in iPHone. Now there was 100APPLE-file when I looked by PC File Explorer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon