• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Fixing iPod Touch after failed update

KurganFr

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

iTunes 10 suggested that I install the latest iOS update (I am not sure what the version number is). After waiting 30 minutes for the 650 Mb file to download, it began to update my iPod Touch, then showed an error code 1611. Since then, my iPod has been displaying a static picture of a USB plug with an arrow pointing to an iTunes CD, and I cannot do anything with it. iTunes indicates that the iPod is in restore mode and needs to be restored. However, it seems that this will wipe off all my files, which would not be helpful as I have rather a lot of photos on there. I very much doubt whether iTunes has ever been backing this device up as I can barely get it to even function as a music library (poor performance, frequent crashes).

I have been browsing the web for a few hours now but the only solution I have seen so far to retain my data would be to jailbreak my iPod, which I am not keen to do. I am completely unable to post anything on the Apple Support forums as they are "unable to process" my login (error code 13). Is there any way I can get my iPod to work again without using the iTunes Restore function and losing all my data?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman