Facebook Messenger using mobile data when on WiFi - Please Help

colsearle

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Greetings All,

My iPhone 6 on iOS 10.1.1 is connected to a very strong 70mb WiFi connection but when I take an incoming video or voice call from Facebook Messenger it eats up all my 500mb/Month mobile data.

Today I backed up and fully erased / restored my iPhone in an effort to beat the problem but it appears it's still not fixed. It's the only app on my phone that does this and I'm out of ideas. WiFi assist is turned off. I have posted in the Apple forums but they move so fast the post dissapears quickly.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7425566?start=0&tstart=0

Please does anyone have any idea's as my partner is overseas and we rely on the video function heavily.

Many Thanks

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
It is possible to set per app if it can use mobile data, goto settings/mobile data and there you see a lost of apps, uncheck the facebook app and it can't connect when you're not on wifi.

Edit: looking on that link, it sems you already tried that.

Why not use skype instead? There are much more solutions for videochat than facebook messenger.
And if both devices are apple devices than you could also use facetime.

With restore, do you mean restore from that previous backup? Because that could also just restore back the issues you have. Better to setup as new and try that. If it doesnt work you can always restore from the backup you had.