Experienced Android user to 6+ user

Peter Ramirez1

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
This one is long. Sorry...

After owning the device for 2+ weeks and switching over from 6 years of being an Android Fanboy, here are my thoughts.

1. Buttons. There were a couple of people complaining about the power button and sleep buttons on opposite sides. For the past couple of years I've had devices with the the sleep button being on opposite sides of the volume buttons. I've never accidentally pressed power instead of volume up. Maybe you just need to get used to this setup, I know I did.
2. Bendgate. So that passed rather quickly. I understand iOS users were used to a small device. Having a bigger device comes with new behaviors. Having a 4 inch phone in your pocket is no problem. Having a phone the size of the 6+ while you sit can be uncomfortable. I've had to learn to take the phone out everytime I go in my car since the Samsung Galaxy S4. Not to mention sometimes phones get hot while they wr in pockets.
3. Customizability. Android is great at this and iOS pretty much sucks. But to be honest I don't miss it at all. For 2 years I had the same set up on my android phone. 1 screen, a 6 icon dock and a time widget. I went through an S4, Note 3, Nexus 5, LG G3 with that set up. I'm positive most people have the same set up for years. What's the point on customization? There are a exceptions though. I know of some people who change their set up on a daily. Look at the XDA forums.
4. Hacking. Now I've rooted and romed every phone I've had. That was the best part of android. But it came at a cost. Sometimes I really needed to take a pic of my daughter, whoops camera quality sucks, or worst, it won't even open. Stability issues, bugs, crashing, some features don't work. I definitely don't miss that.
5. SD Storage. I've got a 128gb with 96gb left.
6. Size. The 6+ is not for everyone. People who complain about the size need to stick with a smaller phone. Same goes for people who say they can't use it with one hand. Duh!!! Can't buy a Truck and expect to park in the compact parking.

The most notable things for me are
* OS Fluidity
* Apps seem to be smoother and look somehow better. There's difference between the same apps on both OS's. Look at Pocketcasts as as example
* Touch ID makes all the difference in the world.
* It feels great to have a phone that feels premium.
* The OS Is Beautiful.

I know that a lot this is different based on preference but it's what I have to noticed thus far.

Nexus ONE

zevimenache

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This one is long. Sorry...

After owning the device for 2+ weeks and switching over from 6 years of being an Android Fanboy, here are my thoughts.

1. Buttons. There were a couple of people complaining about the power button and sleep buttons on opposite sides. For the past couple of years I've had devices with the the sleep button being on opposite sides of the volume buttons. I've never accidentally pressed power instead of volume up. Maybe you just need to get used to this setup, I know I did.
2. Bendgate. So that passed rather quickly. I understand iOS users were used to a small device. Having a bigger device comes with new behaviors. Having a 4 inch phone in your pocket is no problem. Having a phone the size of the 6+ while you sit can be uncomfortable. I've had to learn to take the phone out everytime I go in my car since the Samsung Galaxy S4. Not to mention sometimes phones get hot while they wr in pockets.
3. Customizability. Android is great at this and iOS pretty much sucks. But to be honest I don't miss it at all. For 2 years I had the same set up on my android phone. 1 screen, a 6 icon dock and a time widget. I went through an S4, Note 3, Nexus 5, LG G3 with that set up. I'm positive most people have the same set up for years. What's the point on customization? There are a exceptions though. I know of some people who change their set up on a daily. Look at the XDA forums.
4. Hacking. Now I've rooted and romed every phone I've had. That was the best part of android. But it came at a cost. Sometimes I really needed to take a pic of my daughter, whoops camera quality sucks, or worst, it won't even open. Stability issues, bugs, crashing, some features don't work. I definitely don't miss that.
5. SD Storage. I've got a 128gb with 96gb left.
6. Size. The 6+ is not for everyone. People who complain about the size need to stick with a smaller phone. Same goes for people who say they can't use it with one hand. Duh!!! Can't buy a Truck and expect to park in the compact parking.

The most notable things for me are
* OS Fluidity
* Apps seem to be smoother and look somehow better. There's difference between the same apps on both OS's. Look at Pocketcasts as as example
* Touch ID makes all the difference in the world.
* It feels great to have a phone that feels premium.
* The OS Is Beautiful.

I know that a lot this is different based on preference but it's what I have to noticed thus far.

Nexus ONE

Also came from 5 years on Android,and feel the same thing!

DudeThatsErin

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I also came from android. Used it since the s3. Went back and forth but finally I feel like I have a phone that meets all of my needs. :)

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Bought a 6+ and like it fine. It was my first iPhone purchase since the 3gs. Have been with android a long time, and still have several androids to swap my SIM to get my android fix.

My 6+ is very capable as are my androids. Just depends on my mood. Currently using my OnePlus One which is about the exact same size as my 6+.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I came from years as an android power user as well. I switched 2 years ago to the 5 and now the 6+. It pained me to do but I share pretty much the same viewpoints as you. I miss a lot of the practical things android offers, like being able to open any file by tapping it and choosing the app to open it in or attaching to an email or uploading any type of file (not just a photo). I clamor for choosing an app as default.

I ROMd to my heart's content and lusted for instant updates so went with Nexus devices to stay bleeding edge. I found that by the time I switched to iOS that even unlocked and rooted, I was still letting weeks go by before I flashed a new ROM to take advantage of an update. I don't even jailbreak my iPhones anymore. LOL

iOS is not without its disadvantages but overall it's the interface feeling more responsive and faster on a daily basis that matters more to me most days than a feature I use only occasionally (plus iOS is starting to close that gap). I do miss having an app drawer though. Also, notifications on android are still the best, hands down.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I keep my android flame alive with a nexus 7 since it was cheap, but when it comes to tablets, it's no contest. I choose my iPad every day of the week.

Peter Ramirez1

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I came from years as an android power user as well. I switched 2 years ago to the 5 and now the 6+. It pained me to do but I share pretty much the same viewpoints as you. I miss a lot of the practical things android offers, like being able to open any file by tapping it and choosing the app to open it in or attaching to an email or uploading any type of file (not just a photo). I clamor for choosing an app as default.

I forgot to mention that but that's the one thing I miss the most, being able to choose what app to open a file. And setting it as a default.

I still own a Nexus 5 which I'm running Android L.

How do you feel of the photos app. Coming from androids gallery app to me it was one of the biggest difference. Having multiple folders for your Camera, Downloads, theCHIVE, Tumblr. I know you can make folder on iOS but it's not automatic.

Nexus ONE

jonnaver

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I keep my android flame alive with a nexus 7 since it was cheap, but when it comes to tablets, it's no contest. I choose my iPad every day of the week.
I have to agree, I own the n7 as well as the mini retina and without question the mini is much more fluid and the apps are nicer. But... there's just not enough incentive, even although I'll admit that the software situation with Apple is more refined, for me to use iOS over android as my main driver. I'm far too much of a fan of file systems, interoperability between apps, and setting app defaults. Those are the 3 main things iOS doesn't do that I consider must-haves. I also use certain download software which Apple steadfastly refuses to allow in the app store. I've also found that I prefer Google Now to Siri slightly.

The summary for me would be that I find Apple to be a more refined hardware and software experience but android is the only OS that currently provides me with the functionalities that I demand from a mobile device. Wish I could have both from one platform but that's not the case yet. One thing I have learned though is that if you're looking for an android experience that comes close to Apple quality, you shouldn't be looking for it on a Samsung device.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just one argument towards your original post...the iPhone is HIGHY customizable, just not in native form. Jailbreaking the iPhone pretty much opens it up to an unlimited world of customizations and tweaks. To say it "sucks" at it is a bit harsh...and I disagree unless we're just talking unmodified devices, in which case it's true, customizations are very limited (and for good reason, most people simply want a clean OS).

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel of the photos app. Coming from androids gallery app to me it was one of the biggest difference. Having multiple folders for your Camera, Downloads, theCHIVE, Tumblr. I know you can make folder on iOS but it's not automatic.

Nexus ONE

I don't love the photos app in iOS but the gallery app in Android kind of makes me want to bash my head against the wall. Without knowing how to make it exclude folders, it was a mess. Some apps made folders for cached thumbnails, etc, and those folders all show up in the gallery. I really didn't like being flooded with all those folders and choices for pictures.

Ideally I would want a hybrid approach. Something like iOS does it but with a folder structure.

It always comes back to folder structure!

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree, I own the n7 as well as the mini retina and without question the mini is much more fluid and the apps are nicer. But... there's just not enough incentive, even although I'll admit that the software situation with Apple is more refined, for me to use iOS over android as my main driver. I'm far too much of a fan of file systems, interoperability between apps, and setting app defaults. Those are the 3 main things iOS doesn't do that I consider must-haves. I also use certain download software which Apple steadfastly refuses to allow in the app store. I've also found that I prefer Google Now to Siri slightly.

The summary for me would be that I find Apple to be a more refined hardware and software experience but android is the only OS that currently provides me with the functionalities that I demand from a mobile device. Wish I could have both from one platform but that's not the case yet. One thing I have learned though is that if you're looking for an android experience that comes close to Apple quality, you shouldn't be looking for it on a Samsung device.

Totally respect that. We share similar observations, just out our priorities differ.

Apple is making progress on sharing between apps. Not as fluid as android, but getting there.

I wish iOS and and Android could have a beautiful baby together!

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I am currently using the 6+ and the Note 4. I love the feel of the 6+ and I prefer the screen compared to the Note, however I can just do more with the Note in terms of multitasking, moving files, etc. Both offer great experiences Marco continue to use both depending on my mood.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien