• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Exchange and Gmail

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both very much for the helpful answers. 😄

I am actually enquiring on behalf of a friend, I was able to set up mine as Exchange two weeks back but it appears that many are not being able to.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

If you've set it previously (prior to January 31st) and you're still using the same device then you won't have a problem setting up Gmail via the Microsoft Exchange setup. However, those who have never set it up that will not be able to and current users will not be allowed to set it up that way with devices other than those it is currently setup on even if they restore from a backup.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, my iPhone 5 is brand new and I got it on Feb 4 but for whatever reason I was able to set gmail up as Exchange.

I am not complaining. Lol

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I also don't much care for the Gmail app. But that is the only option for everyone if you want push Gmail for free on iOS.

To clarify people; if you attempt to setup Gmail as Exchange on an iOS device that is not the one you are currently holding then it will NOT work.

Man, do I feel lucky. I totally had forgotten about Gmail ending Exchange support and did a device
swap at the Apple Store on the 31st. I restored my backup the same day.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
for what its worth, i had to replace my phone as well last week. i knew i was doomed, so i did some testing ahead of time. i have gmail set up as IMAP and set to fetch every 15 minutes. when i send a test email from my computer, it never takes more than 2 minutes to be delivered to my iphone 5, way ahead of the fetch schedule. 2 minutes instead of instant, plus i can still use my labels....i think i can live with IMAP. sure i would much rather have push, but for anyone facing this dilemma, dont fret.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman