• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Does minimizing apps on the background (double tap the home button) help battery life?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering. If I close or minimize number of apps running on the background (double tap the home button) will help in battery life? Or it's a placebo effect?

Thanks.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It was always my understanding that closing the apps that run in the background will save battery life and when I try it, I do notice an increase in battery life.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering. If I close or minimize number of apps running on the background (double tap the home button) will help in battery life? Or it's a placebo effect?

Thanks.

Mostly placebo. Unless the app is written to use GPS and continue to do so while suspended to background. Those will use battery.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I see. I guess if you are playing a game that requires data (cellular or wifi) connections and/or GPS (i.e CSR Racing, Hay Day, Google Maps, Around Me or such), it would affect the battery, but if it's standalone app (i.e Angry Birds), then it should be OK.

Is that right?
Mostly placebo. Unless the app is written to use GPS and continue to do so while suspended to background. Those will use battery.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I see. I guess if you are playing a game that requires data (cellular or wifi) connections and/or GPS (i.e CSR Racing, Hay Day, Google Maps, Around Me or such), it would affect the battery, but if it's standalone app (i.e Angry Birds), then it should be OK.

Is that right?

Yep.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I close mine from the multi-task bar all day long.
My wife iPad has locked up on several occasions and closing out the apps fixed the issue. Yes had a ton o close out.

Good Luck

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
At times certain apps (even when "closed") will still access your locations service (GPS) which can and does drain battery life, but for the most part, it should only last few maybe a minute at most and then stop (sometimes apps will have issues where this is not the case, but i know at least on my phone, any app that had this issue no longer does). Games can sometimes get wonky and stop responding (or get stuck in a load loop), closing them out will rectify this almost all the time (and it really has more to do with the game trying to connect to the network of the developer than the phone itself)...this can, sometimes, cause performance issues though that would call for closing out in the multitask bar.

Other than that though, it really doesn't have a dramatic effect in any way, shape or form...and does not really effect battery life noticeably.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
The app tray is really a "most recently used" app list, not a list of apps currently running.

And yet, I and others have noticed, and reported in these forums, that there is a noticeable difference in battery life between clearing it out and letting everything you open ever remain in that task switcher.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I used to do it all the time, but I have stopped and I have not noticed any difference in battery life or speed of the phone in the last few months. I must say it is quite liberating not thinking about closing apps all the time.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman