Dock dunked in wine. Now what?

alanhp1

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I was working at my computer when I realized I dunked the dock end of the connector in some Pinot Grigio (in case type of wine matters).

I wiped it off well but don't know whether to use it or toss it.

Any advice? I don't want to jeapodize my iPhone or iPad.

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would sit the portion that was dunked in wine in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight. The rice *should* soak up the wine and no, it is NOT guaranteed to work. If you're uncomfortable doing that then you may as well go a nearby Walmart and buy a replacement cable for your i-device.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You could try what JustMe,D suggested, but TBH if it were me - i would just can the wine dunked dock and not chance it & purchase a new one.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, it's not even worth risking. A replacement cable or dock (not sure which it was) is much, much cheaper than replacing your phone or iPad

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like Pink and Sprocket2107 stated above, I highly recommend you replace your cable. The rice option is just that, an option, but as I clearly stated above, it is not guaranteed to work.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Like Pink and Sprocket2107 stated above, I highly recommend you replace your cable. The rice option is just that, an option, but as I clearly stated above, it is not guaranteed to work.

And if there is damage the rice can't fix, you'll risk frying your phone. I picked up a new cable from WalMart for < $11

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I would much rather spend 10-20 bucks on a new cable than spend 200 + on a new phone. I wouldn't even bother with the rice. It's not worth the risk

igodidog

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my Nokia in the toilet once and it worked for a month after that, but I think the electronic parts were damaged, so there was no chance of recovery...
I think the only way is to switch power off and dry the thing out and than take it to service where they would clean it from "sugar".