Do AirPods make you look stupid?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what we're trying to do. I was specifically interested in the claim that 6 out of 10 people on buses and trains (later clarified to 6 out of 10 headphone wearers) use wireless headphones of some description.

Also, I am not prepared to say precisely where my count took place, but it's not necessarily a different geographical area to the above claims.

How can you say that if you haven’t been riding in subways, trains and buses all over the world? You specifically mentioned Europe. That’s fine, and if that’s your experience there, so be it, but don’t blindly assume that your experience is the same worldwide, especially if you haven’t been to places around the world to witness for yourself. I live in Orlando, FL. and I see both wired and wireless headsets everywhere. The kids are the ones I typically see wearing wired headsets (mostly Beats) and they’re usually listening to music. Wireless headsets are typically seen in conjunction with people talking on their smartphones. Wireless headsets from Plantronics, Jabra, Motorola, Samsung and Apple are the ones I see the most, but that’s “here” in Orlando.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
As a moderator of this forum it’s my duty to read threads, even if I’m not interested in the subject matter, and keep things in topic. The subject of this particular thread is “Do AirPods make you look stupid?”, and has nothing to do with how many people are or aren’t wearing them on whatever trains you’re riding.

I disagree. Firstly, it's hard to judge whether a product makes the user look stupid without seeing people wearing it. Secondly, it was claimed by various people up the thread that vast numbers of people now use wireless headphones *specifically in places that I visit*, and that simply doesn't match my experience - which BTW includes using public transport in three continents in the last six months.

My experience travelling last week was interesting. I visited a couple of major, rich western European cities and used intercity and local public transport. I gave up counting headphone users in general. A small percentage use wireless headphones, I guess the 10% figure I counted last weekend is in the right order of magnitude. With two exceptions, these are all the large over-ear-with-headband style. However, I did see two people using in-ear airpod style headphones.

One set were black - it's possible they were actually a hearing aid as they were that kind of shape, but I don't think so.

And one set were airpods! The first I have seen in the wild. Actually I was a little bit suspicious of them. Apple's white plastic is quite distinctive - it looks shiny and gives the impression of being high quality. These had a rather cheap look about them, so maybe they were knock offs. The user was a middle age white guy, though, so I'm guessing they were genuine.

To be very strictly on topic - I thought the probable airpods made the user look a bit silly. "Stupid" might be overdoing it.

Last edited:

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I’ve got a pair. They supplement my QC35s nicely. I use them with just one earpiece frequently. Operates mono, giving me both channels. I needed to replace my BT earpiece, so I gave them a try. I’ve learned that life’s better without cords, or holding the phone to your face. The case fits nicely in my bag or pocket.

Do I like dorky or stupid ? I still get laid by an attractive woman, so I really don’t give a **** what a random stranger thinks.

BTW, I ordered them online from Best Buy Monday at lunch, they were deliver to the house on Wednesday. Can’t beat that with a stick.

Edit: Really ? P o o p get asterisked out ???

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
If someone thinks they look stupid that’s on them. I wear and use what I want not caring what others think. I learned years ago wear and use what u like. I do and am comfortable in it

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I bought a pair yesterday, and I love them. I listen to music on the go a lot, and I love not having the swear at a tangled cable after pulling earphones out of my pocket. The case is small, and I love how it tops up the charge when I put them away.

Pricey? Yes, but they work great, so i'm good with it.

I have had a few people look at me while wearing them, but they weren't making a "WTF??" face at me. So whatever, lol.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the AirPods since about February this year and I love them. I found a good deal on the Beats X earlier this week and thought I’d give them a try and maybe use them in the gym. Well that lasted about 24 hours. I’m totally done with wires. I didn’t care for them for other reasons as well but the dangling wires were at the top of the list. AirPods have totally spoiled me.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My LG are Bluetooth but hang around neck and wires attach them. Don’t like them. I would wear my Samsung Bluetooth use for calls to listen to my music when walking. Felt disappointment in the sound
Making the switch to Apple using my jambox at home. Love LOVE the AirPods. And perfect for when am walking and other activities. So glad I got them

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Just got my first pair a few days ago and absolutely love them. I don't care what others think I look like.... Same goes for glasses, etc right. It's still me behind all that....

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup