Disappointed

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Note. I have both a Max and a Note 9 (both T-Mobile) as I support both platforms. While I use my Note as my daily driver, I have toyed with getting an Apple watch. But every time I put my SIM card in my Max, out it comes in a few minutes. Why? Network performance. About 1/2 the download speed.

FYI, T-Mobile sent a new SIM card. No change. Hardly faster than my 7 Plus. Thoughts? Suggestions?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Note. I have both a Max and a Note 9 (both T-Mobile) as I support both platforms. While I use my Note as my daily driver, I have toyed with getting an Apple watch. But every time I put my SIM card in my Max, out it comes in a few minutes. Why? Network performance. About 1/2 the download speed.

FYI, T-Mobile sent a new SIM card. No change. Hardly faster than my 7 Plus. Thoughts? Suggestions?

That’s just the cost of Apple using Intel chips. They’ve always been in T-Mobile models and they capped the Qualcomm chips in the other variants that had it.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
And that may be the answer. "Supposedly", these new Intel chips are supposed to be faster and comparable to the Qualcomm chips. On paper, they are. in reality, apparently not. Interesting to me, the T-Mobile tech said that they have had numerous complaints about network speed.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
And that may be the answer. "Supposedly", these new Intel chips are supposed to be faster and comparable to the Qualcomm chips. On paper, they are. in reality, apparently not. Interesting to me, the T-Mobile tech said that they have had numerous complaints about network speed.

I never read that they were supposed to be faster per se, just that all models would get it. I still see roughly the same speeds I always did. It is what it is, as disappointing as that may be.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
The past generation, if they had Qualcomm chips, were capable of Gigabit speeds, But, as you said, the Intel chips used in most we're only capable of half that, so they were all capped to the slower speeds. This year's Intel chips were supposed to be Gigabit capable, but apparently they are still not up to the current Qualcomm speed.

Oh well. Since speed is more important than a new Apple Watch, I guess I am glad I didn't get that!

anon(9918034)

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I have sprint so I am always disappointed with network speeds lol. The other day I pulled 106mb download speed on my xs max.

I actually switch over from the note 9 while I can notice a few spots that are slower during my day to day. It by no means prevents me from using the phone.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I’m a Verizon customer so can’t help with Sprint, and there’s been nothing with my Max ownership that’s been a disappointment including how well roaming and radios have worked so far. So far is 3 regions in the US and one international trip.

My point is really about mention of the Apple Watch. My Series 2 was fine and my Series 4 is much nicer than expected. It’s been so good for my personal health and wellness interests AND work that I would stay with an iPhone for those reasons.

A few apps or cloud services make all the difference. Drafts is better than most notes on the watch and a tremendously powerful app for the phone. The Office 365 notifications on the Watch are valuable. Alarms for dozens of servers and network devices will show on the phone if and when I wish.

I have to support Android too. Hands on is mostly devices in the enterprise but I end up helping employees too. It’s always a reminder of how good the hand off and continuity features of an iPhone are. Network speed if decent is nothing compared to the total amount of utility I get with Apple for my end point stuff.

If I’ve missed anything Android catching up to Apple’s handoff and continuity stuff I’d like to know.

AirPods are another reason my Android interest stays limited to what I have to do for my job.

We’re probably two years or more from wireless being much different so I’m sticking with the endpoint platform that works so well overall during that time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

In terms of seconds, how much slower is the degraded performance you're speaking of?

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I just came back from a Samsung S9+ to an iPhone XS Max(had an iPhone 7+ prior to the S9+) and while I "may" see a difference, it isn't substantial. I am on Verizon.

My signal strengths seem the same vs the Samsung. The one thing that stands out is I am getting better call quality with the XS Max vs the S9+. Even the receiving party noticed it.

If download speeds are what you are after, you probably will get better speeds with the S9+ but the difference you are stating seems way too drastic to be purely Intel vs Qualcomm related.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
In terms of seconds, how much slower is the degraded performance you're speaking of?

1 to 6 Megabits with the Max. 10 to 20 plus with the Note 9. Three different SIM cards and all of T-mobile's efforts and no change. This tests the same around the whole town.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy