Disappointed - Returning Mine to Apple

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Not 100% related per se'. But, I am seriously considering not ordering the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Why? Well, my thought was to turn off the 5G, until the likes of ATT have it more developed and available.

Then, the thought came to me, if you're going to do that, why even bother ordering the phone, right?

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the 11 to the 12 and the battery seems good. But the battery health on my 11 was down to 91% after only 1 year. I truly debated keeping the 11 and then just getting the battery replace using Apple Care when it went below 90%.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I upgraded from the 11 to the 12 and the battery seems good. But the battery health on my 11 was down to 91% after only 1 year. I truly debated keeping the 11 and then just getting the battery replace using Apple Care when it went below 90%.

It’s under 80% where they will replace it. My Xs was 87% and I had to pay $69 to replace it since it wasn’t under the Genius Bar said. But when I had that phone I wanted a fresh battery so I paid it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not 100% related per se'. But, I am seriously considering not ordering the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Why? Well, my thought was to turn off the 5G, until the likes of ATT have it more developed and available.

Then, the thought came to me, if you're going to do that, why even bother ordering the phone, right?

It sounds like your sole reason for upgrading would be for 5G. Or maybe just your first reason. If that’s the case, then not upgrading is a good decision.

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Nice! The mini is going to be a great phone. Are you coming from a 4.7" screen?

An older SE. I'm not certain that I'll actually upgrade. The notch on the 12 mini gives away more real estate than I'd like and I'll have to see how the battery life is. Since Apple is still supporting the SE I have some flexibility.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
It sounds like your sole reason for upgrading would be for 5G. Or maybe just your first reason. If that’s the case, then not upgrading is a good decision.

I think what he/she means is that if you are going to turn off 5G then why upgrade to the 12....I personally would shut it off bc it doesn’t exist yet in my area so why let it suck battery?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think what he/she means is that if you are going to turn off 5G then why upgrade to the 12....I personally would shut it off bc it doesn’t exist yet in my area so why let it suck battery?

I think if it doesn’t exist then how would the phone consume battery looking for something that doesn’t exist?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. It's a great upgrade for people coming from an 8/8plus,X,XS,XR....I'd still recommend the regular 12 for those upgrading. the 12 pro 6.1" is an odd model this year. Most will go for the 12 pro max for the better camera specs, that's if one can handle that screen size.

For "most will go Promax..." Apple sure has a way of being sold out until November 25 on the 12pro. Reports say it's selling like hotdogs in July. I went to Verizon Bussines account and they won't ship until the 25. I think the 12 Pro is going to continue performing well.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
1cbe39f6104bcf164da2e00d007e6c84.jpg

Just some numbers if you’re near where UW is

Either way I’m still upgrading I need more storage and I want the new design.

I'm in Phoenix Metro. I can't wait to buy my iPhone.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I’m using the iPhone 12 Pro and I agree with OP it’s uncomfortable to hold, I’m sure the 12 Pro Max will be worse. I put an otter clear silicone case on the 12 Pro and it’s a better feel in the hand . Hoping the Apple leather and silicone cases will be a better feel.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I’m using the iPhone 12 Pro and I agree with OP it’s uncomfortable to hold, I’m sure the 12 Pro Max will be worse. I put an otter clear silicone case on the 12 Pro and it’s a better feel in the hand . Hoping the Apple leather and silicone cases will be a better feel.

I personally didn’t like the silicone case, didn’t do much at all for comfort but hopefully that isn’t the case for you! I think finding the right case for these edges is crucial

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

I have the opposite view. I love the 12 pro feel without a case. Now the Max will probably be a little different just because I can’t hold it in one hand

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Apparently, some others are claiming the new iPhone will cut their hands. Personally, I can't see how my iPhone would cut my hands, I ran fingers over every edge and there is nothing that would cut my hand.

My thought is that maybe their is a QA issue and that some phones are being shipped with sharper edges. My advice, take the phone to Apple and get them to exchange it for a correctly made one that can't cut your hand.

Well, it is surgical grade stainless steel...

vizagdude

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I pre-ordered my 12 Pro and used it for over a week. I returned it back to apple and back on my 11 Pro Max.

The biggest issue for me was the battery life. I get it that I am going from a Pro Max to regular Pro, add 5G to that, I get the mileage is much lower. I am planning to preorder the 12 Pro Max. Hopefully I’ll have better experience with the battery life.

I love the new flat edges to the round ones, I liked the screen, Did not notice much with the camera from the layman point of view, T-Mobile 5G speeds were fast the few times I experienced it. I am planning to get the Ocean Blue.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I pre-ordered my 12 Pro and used it for over a week. I returned it back to apple and back on my 11 Pro Max.

The biggest issue for me was the battery life. I get it that I am going from a Pro Max to regular Pro, add 5G to that, I get the mileage is much lower. I am planning to preorder the 12 Pro Max. Hopefully I’ll have better experience with the battery life.

I love the new flat edges to the round ones, I liked the screen, Did not notice much with the camera from the layman point of view, T-Mobile 5G speeds were fast the few times I experienced it. I am planning to get the Ocean Blue.

Same here, I ended up trying out the 12 Pro, like the flat edges and screen. But I'm returning it for the max.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
YMMV, but I picked up my iPhone 12 and Official Apple silicone case to replace my iPhone 11 and I have to say I am very disappointed. The square edges make the phone very uncomfortable to hold and except for the faster 5G speeds (T-Mobile 5G-I got 129 Mbps down vs 35 down on my 11). But other than that and the square edges, it doesn't seem any different than the 11 and as I said, for me, it is MUCH more uncomfortable to hold. Not sure what I will do now. This is going back for sure. If this one is uncomfortable, I am sure the larger 12 Pro Max will be worse, so that is out. I may wait until they put the refurbed 11 Pro Max on sale and move to that. I like the curved edges.

As I said, you may feel different about it and if you like the new shape, congrats on your new purchase. But this one is wiped and back in the box. The shortest time ever with a phone. For the moment, I am glad I didn't sell or trade in my 11.
I left the iPhone 11 in the dust and picked up the note 20 and won't look back. I also picked up the galaxy watch 3 also. There is no real progress with IOS 14 or iphone 12 period.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Not to segway too far off topic.
But, curious, what 'progress' are you looking to see on iOS/iPhone?

I left the iPhone 11 in the dust and picked up the note 20 and won't look back. I also picked up the galaxy watch 3 also. There is no real progress with IOS 14 or iphone 12 period.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy