Cutting the cable?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Went to my local AT&T store yesterday, wanting to get rid of my Frontier Fios package(phone,internet,&tv) and switch to AT&T. Here in SW Florida, all i could get from AT&T was tv. No internet, and no land line! What, Ma Bell invented the land line! I need a home phone & a fax line. If i went with the Dish, the cost would be sky high(no pun intended), for the tv & internet and still no land line. Bummer:(:mad:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I’m sorry to hear that

My personal experience with cutting the cord has been enlightening. While I’m still stuck with my incumbent phone carrier, Bell, I don’t have to pay them directly.

Instead, I have a third-party Internet access provider that provides me a better service (customer service and dual Internet connectivity) that Bell can’t even match. However, I will be bandwidth limited until the CRTC regulates the incumbents effectively.

For phone service, I use my mobile phone exclusively, and I could get a VoIP phone service and a Mail2Fax service if I needed to. For TV, I use the good old digital terrestrial television, which gives me all the channels I want, except two: CTV and Télé-Québec. Besides that, I have a subscription to Apple TV+, F1TV, Netflix (to be retired eventually) and ICI Tou.Tv (free with my mobile carrier).

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I cut the cord with Cable TV a long time ago. I have internet and stream everything. An Apple TV works great, and there are tons of movies and TV to watch. My AT&T cell phone plan comes with HBO Max. The HBO Max app for Apple TV works great.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I cut the cord with Cable TV a long time ago. I have internet and stream everything. An Apple TV works great, and there are tons of movies and TV to watch. My AT&T cell phone plan comes with HBO Max. The HBO Max app for Apple TV works great.

We are doing pretty much the same thing we do not have cable TV. We have Internet and then we stream Hulu Netflix and Amazon prime. I have explored other options like sling and I’ve considered Paramount plus but right now we’re sticking with Hulu and Netflix. Plus my Apple TV subscription which works great through streaming on a Roku box and then of course on our Apple devices!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
We are doing pretty much the same thing we do not have cable TV. We have Internet and then we stream Hulu Netflix and Amazon prime. I have explored other options like sling and I’ve considered Paramount plus but right now we’re sticking with Hulu and Netflix. Plus my Apple TV subscription which works great through streaming on a Roku box and then of course on our Apple devices!

Yeah, I think it's about that time for me to cut cable as well. Their pricing have become utterly RIDICULOUS in the past couple of years to be honest.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
We have no regrets probably 5 or more years with only ISP and mobile plan. At times we activate and deactivate some services such as Hulu & Peacock. We do have Apple's everything bundle and Prime.

It's worth considering the performance of your home network. The Ubiquiti Amplify WiFi and router/firewall we have is considerably better than what ISPs offer and the older generation Apple WiFi gear they no longer make. Ubiquiti has very strong radio performance and makes enterprise stuff unlike most popular home networking gear.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Spectrum 500 meg up/down, Ubiquity UDM Pro with 3 access points, 3 iPhones/iPads, 5 Apple TV’s, 2 MacBook Pros, 1 Windows file server and 1 Windows gaming rig, no issues or regrets cutting the cord many years ago.

Our monthly Spectrum (bundled) plan was $300+ monthly. Now Spectrum internet only and YouTube TV is less than $180 monthly.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree! I have checked out Sling... it's a bit pricey compared to Hulu & Netflix, but it offers choices on what channels you want. I think the entire streaming business is evolving, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
YouTube TV just dropped ESPN and all other Disney owned channels this morning at 12:00 am. Apparently, Disney is the culprit. This includes ABC and SEC Network. And that's bad news for subscribers who want to watch Bowl games, as well as the playoff games. I'm glad I stuck with Comcast!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
YouTube TV just dropped ESPN and all other Disney owned channels this morning at 12:00 am. Apparently, Disney is the culprit. This includes ABC and SEC Network. And that's bad news for subscribers who want to watch Bowl games, as well as the playoff games. I'm glad I stuck with Comcast!

For sports fans and guy in particular, losing ESPN is a big deal. If I were still subscribing to YouTube TV, I’d be canceling because of it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I read somewhere that Disney and YouTube TV have worked things out and there is no longer a n interruption of service.