A Year after Cutting the Cable Cord

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And your thoughts thus far...

It’s very simple. You can set it to record a particular show or the entire series (and further break down between all episodes or just first runs). What’s missing so far are some advanced settings that I’d like to eventually see. For example, you can’t request that a series record regardless of the network that’s airing it or set a maximum amount of recordings. I also found the DVR to be unreliable but that has gotten much better and I’m actually going to trust that a) it’s going to record when I tell it to and b) the recording will actually be watchable. I have to remind myself that this is still a beta product.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Unlimited cloud DVR recording. I believe it retains recordings for 30 days. Also all local channels are live (for me at least; it’s location dependent) except for PBS. Local sports channels are also included.

That’s a definite advantage over DTV NOW at this point. I’m limited to 20 hours of DVR recording. Hopefully that changes as it comes out of BETA.

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
That’s a definite advantage over DTV NOW at this point. I’m limited to 20 hours of DVR recording. Hopefully that changes as it comes out of BETA.

I have tried each of the major streaming TV services at various times and for me at least, YTTV has been the best. Features, live local channels, picture quality and a minimum of buffering make it quite enjoyable. And getting in from the start at $35/month didn’t hurt either. I’m hoping they will pick up the Food Network package soon (the only channel I slightly miss).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Apple TV 4K with DirecTV Now and I love it. The only annoyance I have about Apple TV is the trackpad on the remote. I don't think it's easy to use and sometimes it can be annoying. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the experience.

Use Apple’s remote app. It works well with the TV, in my opinion.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And getting in from the start at $35/month didn’t hurt either.

My exact reason for staying with DTV NOW. I got in at the beginning and I’m paying $40/month for what is basically the equivalent of their top package and that includes HBO and Showtime.
DirecTV knows what it’s doing when it comes to television so I’m confident it’ll continue to evolve the service.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So that’s totally different than directtv now?
Also looking at the reviews for directtv now app and not so good. On App Store

As I’ve mentioned in this thread version 2.0 of the app is in beta and is likely near public release. It’s WAY better than the current offering. DTV NOW does not have DVR but, again, it’s in beta and is likely to be released very soon
DirecTV NOW is a 100% streaming service. U-VERSE is not. This should be helpful: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ps%3A%2F%2Fwww.att.com%2Ftv%2F&token=6xE62isv
DTV NOW is available on several platforms like Apple TV, iOS, Roku, FireTV and Chromecast so you don’t need a smartTV in every room. I have zero smartTVs in my home and I’m able to watch TV in several different places. A full list is available at https://www.directvnow.com.
Hope this helps!

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Never mind. Looking it up....no annual contract . Thanks for the info. May look into this when I get back home

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
You know....now that i m reading this thread carefully and doing research, I always thought that “Apple TV” was an actual tv.....shows how much I know....don’t tell no one of my lack of Apple knowledge .....

Last edited:

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So i have my wife testing the service back home. We have Roku. Right off the bat it’s annoying that you cant go right to a specific Channel. You have to keep pressing the remote button key to find what you are looking for. Any suggestion?

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have Roku. Not Apple TV. I’ll get that in several weeks when they send it as part of my package deal

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elena4151