Can I text from iPhone without cellular service

feenyman99

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I have an iPhone 5S, running IOS 11.4. It happens to be my wife's old phone. It no longer has cellular service, but it connects to my WIFI, and I use it for a few handy apps, generally without any issues.

But, one thing that I can NOT do is send text messages. When I try, I get a "Not Delivered" message. I *am* able to send emails.

One thing that occurs to me is...

In Settings, it still shows my wife's Apple ID, with an iCloud username (email address). Is this iPhone then in conflict with her new/current iPhone? Do I need to change the Apple ID of this phone?

I'd greatly appreciate any info regarding enabling text messaging from/to this phone?

Thx,
feenyman99

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!!

Unfortunately, you can’t send a text without cellular service. Since you’re using WiFi, you’ll be able to send an iMessage or use a third party messaging app. The fact that your wife’s Apple ID is still linked to the device will show the iMessage is coming from her, and depending on the settings on her new iPhone she may be able to see your messages. If that’s a problem for you, sign out of her iCloud and add your own Apple ID. Hope this helps!!!

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!!

Unfortunately, you can’t send a text without cellular service. Since you’re using WiFi, you’ll be able to send an iMessage or use a third party messaging app. The fact that your wife’s Apple ID is still linked to the device will show the iMessage is coming from her, and depending on the settings on her new iPhone she may be able to see your messages. If that’s a problem for you, sign out of her iCloud and add your own Apple ID. Hope this helps!!!

Actually it theoretically could if you have another iPhone that has active service with the same Apple ID?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I have an iPhone 5S, running IOS 11.4. It happens to be my wife's old phone. It no longer has cellular service, but it connects to my WIFI, and I use it for a few handy apps, generally without any issues.

But, one thing that I can NOT do is send text messages. When I try, I get a "Not Delivered" message. I *am* able to send emails.

One thing that occurs to me is...

In Settings, it still shows my wife's Apple ID, with an iCloud username (email address). Is this iPhone then in conflict with her new/current iPhone? Do I need to change the Apple ID of this phone?

I'd greatly appreciate any info regarding enabling text messaging from/to this phone?

Thx,
feenyman99

Try resetting network settings. And it might sound like a dumb question (better safe than sorry, but did you put a SIM card in it?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually it theoretically could if you have another iPhone that has active service with the same Apple ID?

Not SMS...text forwarding is pretty unstable. I used several devices with the same Apple ID & it’s hit or miss with SMS.

*edit: didn’t mean to say hand off. I meant text forwarding

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77