Can I keep my current smartphone plan?

natieya

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to be one of the recipients of the special promo that Verizon offered where I get a $20 discount off the $29.99 smartphone data plan. I know during the iPhone pre-order process it was said that we had to select a different plan, but that we could call customer service upon activation to keep our plan the same. Is this still true? Does anyone know?

Thanks. :)

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is a copy of what the email looked like:

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/w...T_9_9_z_UU_0Hsr_.2eHmH_wkhthEitHNFiHJILssDgLm

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Huh? I'm talking about the cost of my monthly plan...not the cost of the phone. Am I missing something?

If you order the iPhone and want to keep your current plan (if you can) then you must pay full retail for the iPhone in order to do it. The only way way to get the iPone at a discounted price is to sign a new 2-year contract.

jb1dsl

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I signed a new 2 year contract and kept my old Alltel plan. It showed it the same on my confirmation. So yes you can keep your old plan.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I signed a new 2 year contract and kept my old Alltel plan. It showed it the same on my confirmation. So yes you can keep your old plan.

Yes, you signed a new contract.

What I am saying is that you need to sign a new contract, or pay full retail price. The problem lies in the new contract bit. That link that was posted says "for a limited time" so if a new contract is to be signed then it may not be at that price.

gammaray1

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Customer Service verified my current plan with Employee discount would remainty exactly as is, with the exception that the data description would change from indicating Blackberry to Smartphone.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I talked to a representative about that. I have the same plan. She said it'll apply for the previous lines, but not the new one.

aeroo777

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to be one of the recipients of the special promo that Verizon offered where I get a $20 discount off the $29.99 smartphone data plan. I know during the iPhone pre-order process it was said that we had to select a different plan, but that we could call customer service upon activation to keep our plan the same. Is this still true? Does anyone know?

Thanks. :)

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is a copy of what the email looked like:

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/w...T_9_9_z_UU_0Hsr_.2eHmH_wkhthEitHNFiHJILssDgLm

I have the same discount and I was told last week the discount should remain with the iPhone. But I take that with a grain of salt.
You can all customer service to activate, but you might get a different story as to weather you can keep the discount.
Anyway, I was told to call the Promo Dept. number listed in the email and they will add the discount back if it gets dropped. I hope they're right.
BTW, the promo ended 1/31/2011.

natieya

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I talked to a representative about that. I have the same plan. She said it'll apply for the previous lines, but not the new one.

Previous lines? I didn't add a new line. I always had two to begin with (I'm on a family share plan).

Also, I didn't mention that I already purchased the 32GB iPhone using my final $100 NE2 credit, so I won't be buying the phone at full retail.

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused. I may end up having to call customer service to see about keeping my plan the same and making sure the promo stays on my account. After all, I'm just upgrading my phone, not changing my plan. (unless I have to change my plan)...

Thanks everyone for your insights.

aeroo777

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Previous lines? I didn't add a new line. I always had two to begin with (I'm on a family share plan).

Also, I didn't mention that I already purchased the 32GB iPhone using my final $100 NE2 credit, so I won't be buying the phone at full retail.

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused. I may end up having to call customer service to see about keeping my plan the same and making sure the promo stays on my account. After all, I'm just upgrading my phone, not changing my plan. (unless I have to change my plan)...

Thanks everyone for your insights.

The fact your getting a discount or the fact your signing a new contract shouldn't effect the discount. I was told right off the bat if I dropped my data pan or reduced my plan minutes, the discount would be gone forever. However, I could change phones and the discount won't be affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: natieya

natieya

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The fact your getting a discount or the fact your signing a new contract shouldn't effect the discount. I was told right off the bat if I dropped my data pan or reduced my plan minutes, the discount wold be gone forever. However, I could change phones and the discount won't be effected.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB