Do you plan to use your current iPhone for at least 3 years before upgrading?

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I see no reason to update my iPhone XR at the moment. The spec is perfectly good for my use. I’ll see what comes after the 13!
I’ve even still got my old iPhone SE to use as a backup!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The yearly upgrades are very small but sold as revolutionary. The only reason to upgrade is if you have to have the latest and greatest. That’s a personal choice.

I believe stats are showing most people are keeping their devices longer.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Really don’t see any reason to update my 12 mini unless I want a bigger device. My next move is to go to one device I have a note 20 and a 12 mini. I will need to decide which platform I will stay with which will probably be the apple device as of now.

If the new blackberry has all top specs and works that will be my next device.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I probably will. The 12 Pro was an upgrade from the X for me. That is the longest I have ever kept a phone, and I don't see why this would be any different.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have no reason to upgrade and yes I will be keeping my 12 mini (blue 128GB) until it dies or something happens to it! I’m pretty good with my phones and the mini is the smallest smartphone flagship on the market.

Looks like it won’t be sticking around though which is sad. Great little phone Apple has put together, I’m a fan!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It will be a year in July for my 11, the 12 is appealing. I decided to keeping it barring no problems for at least another year. I am looking at retirement in 2 years, so I need to keep unnecessary expenses to a minimum.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The wife and I both got 11 Pro Max devices at launch, trading up from 7 Plus. We skipped the 12 and will wait and decide when the next one is announced. However, if the rumored Apple Watch 7 has blood glucose monitoring, I’ll probably skip the next iPhone and get the watch.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
While perusing a similar tech site, I came across an article mentioning a survey that claims 1 out 3 iPhone users plan to keep their iPhone for 3 years before upgrading.

Source: https://www.blink.ai/post/blinkai-s-2021-smartphone-consumer-report

I would definitely keep my current iPhone 12 Pro for a year and I could easily see myself using it for a second year. With that being said, there’s no where I’d be using it as a primary device for a 3rd year, minus any financial hardship or something. What about you?

I didn’t plan on using my XR three years but November 2021 isn’t that far away. I’d never have believed it back in November 2018 that I’d be using after two years but here we are....

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I bought my 8 Plus in 2018 and purchased the 12 Pro Max recently. I'll probably keep it longer than 3 years and if anything happens to it, I'll go back to the 8 Plus. I don't notice a whole lot of difference between those two, except for screen size, so.....

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I’ll keep my 12 Pro Max precisely as long as it takes for me to want the next newest flagship, be it Android or iOS. Usually around 6 months.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I usually keep my current device until I see what the newer product has to offer at launch. This time around I didn’t pre order my iPhone 12 Pro and waited a couple of weeks until I could see one in person at the Apple store.

With the COVID thing going on during the launch of the iPhone 12, I still able to get into the Apple store in Jacksonville to look at one and as usual, once I played with it, I bought one.

With technology changing so fast these days and Apple being very secretive about any new products and features until they officially announce it, I just use the wait and see approach.

I am still a hands on guy and with the last couple of product launches, I want to see it, touch it and play with it before I spend my hard earned money to buy it, that especially comes into play now since I have been retired and living on a fixed income.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
What could make me upgrade from my 12?
a lighter & thinner phone (probably not gonna happen).
always on display (for message counts etc. There were rumors).

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a confession to make, a week ago I said I had no intention of upgrading my iPhone XR as I was quite happy with it, well I’m now sitting here waiting for delivery of my new iPhone 12!

Just couldn’t resist the temptation after doing a comparison of the features of both and realising what I’d be missing out on.

After all it’s only money……..isn’t it?

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It's all about pricing. My 2020 SE was $200 at tmobile, my 12 mini is $365 at tmobile. If there is a deal, I buy. If not, bye-bye.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elena4151