BB user going to Iphone when it comes to Verizon

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My first post here. I have been somewhat happy with my storm 2 but it is time to move on. It looks like the I phone is really coming to Verizon. Couple of questions for a newbie. I assume I will have to manually add all my contact into the phone. Is there anything similar to Blackberry desktop for backing up everything. Also on BB I really l the Tether app. Does Iphone have anything similar? what other changes can I expect ie. emails. I use aol and gmail for my tow email accounts. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
first welcome to tipb, make sure you have your contacts saved to outlook, and iTunes will import them into your phone if have windows, if you have a mac, anything thats in your address book will be put into your phone.

and speaking of iTunes, iTunes is the backbone for your iPhone, backups, apps, music, etc etc, iPhone does have tethering, what it'll be for VZW hasn't been announced yet of course.... as for emails, there is a little less customization when it comes to sounds for emails unless your jailbroken, which is topic for a time for now, gmail you can setup thru the exchange server and it'll be pushed right to the phone, you'll love the full emails you actually get, no more unnecessary truncated emails for whatever reason

Honestly if there is an apple store close to you, go in an play with one, they have MANY on display you can tinker with, get a jump on what it'll be like

I can't think of much else as i'm tired lol... i'm sure everyone else here have their own bits and pieces that i'm sure i've missed

Welcome to tipb again, this is your source for everything

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
You could also use google contacts... it's an easy way to keep your contacts backed up in the cloud.

Thanks much for letting us newbs know that it will sync with the gmail contacts. I've been doing this since my BB Pearl, but that was 4 phones ago (BB, Pre, Hero, Evo).

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The thing most people talk about here coming from a BB is no LED indicator and no physical keyboard. If you've been using a Storm 2 then the physical keyboard wont be a concern for you. Everyone has said iTunes is pretty much the heart of the iPhone. If you want anymore info on iTunes options PM me sometime. There's alot you can do like the person said go and try it at an Apple store.

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the responses. There is no Apple store on Maui, so I will have to wait until it gets to Verizon. I assume when I get an AOL email, there will be some notification on my phone. Will is be visual or audio or both. Will I need to forward all my AOL emails to my Gmail address. AOL is my main email address.
TIA

Last edited:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the responses. There is no Apple store on Maui, so I will have to wait until it gets to Verizon. I assume when I get an AOL email, there will be some notification on my phone. Will is be visual or audio or both. Will I need to forward all my AOL emails to my Gmail address. AOL is my main email address.
TIA

I don't think that AOL can be set up as exchange but I'm not sure. The best way is to forward all of your accounts to your Gmail. As for notifications, you will get both an audible alert and a pop up on your screen.

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question. How do I forward all AOL emails to my gmail email?

I don't think that AOL can be set up as exchange but I'm not sure. The best way is to forward all of your accounts to your Gmail. As for notifications, you will get both an audible alert and a pop up on your screen.

d8ch

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of people dumping my BB for the iPhone should it come to Verizon :) I sooo look forward to a phone that can successfully sync to my Mac, and to finally be able to retire my first gen iPod Touch in favor of one device that does it all.

And to the OP, to forward, your AOL acct should have Forwarding set up somewhere in the Settings. I'm not sure exactly how it's done because I don't have an AOL email, but it should be somewhere in your settings. Then you'll have to go to your gmail and set up receiving those emails to that inbox.

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I searched all over the settings for AOL and there is nothing to forward the email. If I can't get my AOL emails quickly, this might be a deal breaker. There has to be an answer, but I can't find it. HELP!!

Add me to the list of people dumping my BB for the iPhone should it come to Verizon :) I sooo look forward to a phone that can successfully sync to my Mac, and to finally be able to retire my first gen iPod Touch in favor of one device that does it all.

And to the OP, to forward, your AOL acct should have Forwarding set up somewhere in the Settings. I'm not sure exactly how it's done because I don't have an AOL email, but it should be somewhere in your settings. Then you'll have to go to your gmail and set up receiving those emails to that inbox.

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
After doing a search on Crackberry, it looks like AOL emails will come through an Iphone every 15 minutes unless there is a way to forward the AOL email to my Gmail account. Now I am wondering if I stay with the Storm or are there Andriod phones that push the AOL and Gmail emails.
TIA

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
After doing a search on Crackberry, it looks like AOL emails will come through an Iphone every 15 minutes unless there is a way to forward the AOL email to my Gmail account. Now I am wondering if I stay with the Storm or are there Andriod phones that push the AOL and Gmail emails.
TIA

Not to sound like a Google snob, but you really should just get off the AOL email. Gmail is by far the best email client ever and that is coming from a power email user that gets between 75-150 emails per day.

phrogpilot73

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Not a dumb question at all. Here you go
That's helpful if you want to forward FROM gmail. When I ditched AOL, I found that the only way to forward was a company called forward America. I paid for one year, all my emails forwarded but also sent an email to the sender letting them know that I was changing my email address.

Reactions: lapeter

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow!!Not sure I want to go there. I assume the all the Driod phone have the same set up on AOL emails.

That's helpful if you want to forward FROM gmail. When I ditched AOL, I found that the only way to forward was a company called forward America. I paid for one year, all my emails forwarded but also sent an email to the sender letting them know that I was changing my email address.

lshartle

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I am a current BB user (Storm 2) and I plan on buying an iPhone through Verizon (once they officially announce it) and I've got a question if you don't mind. I think the biggest feature I like best about my BB is the reliability and speed of push services like email & Facebook notifications as well as a few others so my question is this:
Obviously BB is best known for their email push services, how does the iPhone compare as far as reliability and speed? (I use Gmail) and how do other push services compare like Facebook, Google Calendar etc.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Larry