AT&T data question on iPhone 7

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all!

So I had a question for those who are on AT&T and have iPhone 7. Do they make you use LTE for data use ( web browsing, text, etc)? Because over the weekend 4G data stopped working on my phone and I couldn't surf the web or anything like that while on 4G with the message saying "can not active cellular data network". So I was panicking thinking something was wrong with my 7 Plus but come to find out AT&T now requires LTE for data. But my mom and my friends ( who also have iPhones) can still use the 4G network for data use so I am confused. From what I know LTE drains the battery faster which is why I prefered 4G but now AT&T says they are getting rid of 4G. I just wanted to check and see if this was a practice with other folks or do I need to look into this issue further. Thanks in advance!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Far as I know, you don't have to use LTE. At my house, there is no LTE, so when I'm not on wifi for whatever reason, I am on 4G with no issue.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well for some reason 4G won't work for me data wise. I can still make calls and texts on 4G but anything requiring data I have to switch to LTE. I was jusing 4G just yesterday until like 5pm and that's when it stopped. This is so strange

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Well for some reason 4G won't work for me data wise. I can still make calls and texts on 4G but anything requiring data I have to switch to LTE. I was jusing 4G just yesterday until like 5pm and that's when it stopped. This is so strange

Really strange. Did you change settings? Is LTE enabled for both voice and data?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it an AT&T iPhone 7? You might try resetting Network settings:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

You'll have to redo your wifi passwords but it could help. If not, maybe exchange it.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
LTE is 4G.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have both LTE and 4g. LTE is definitely a better, stronger signal. My phone drops to 4g when I'm in a more remote area.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea so I called them last night and I had to reset the network settings and AT&T reset the signal on their end. Somehow my phone was connected to some weird network (international it seems) and that was the cause of the phone not being able to get on the 4G network for data and I could only use LTE. They say it happens to some iphone users every so often after they switch to a new phone. This was the first time it happened to me though and the only way it can be fixed is by calling AT&T if it happens as neither my local AT&T store or Apple store knew how to fix the issue.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yea so I called them last night and I had to reset the network settings and AT&T reset the signal on their end. Somehow my phone was connected to some weird network (international it seems) and that was the cause of the phone not being able to get on the 4G network for data and I could only use LTE. They say it happens to some iphone users every so often after they switch to a new phone. This was the first time it happened to me though and the only way it can be fixed is by calling AT&T if it happens as neither my local AT&T store or Apple store knew how to fix the issue.

Glad you got it resolved --- and thank you for sharing that tidbit with us in case anyone here experiences the same thing.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got it resolved --- and thank you for sharing that tidbit with us in case anyone here experiences the same thing.

It appears I spoke to soon as the issue is happening again. At this point I am not sure if it's a att network issue or my phone. I mean it's not a huge deal I mean the phone works fine and I can make calls and text on the regular 4G network but anything with data I now have to use LTE or wi fi. It's just annoying is all since it seems it's only me that has this issue. I am grandfathered in with unlimited data though on AT&T and I am thinking maybe they changed something with that, which might have caused it. One ATT rep did say it was normal and att was doing this to everyone ( eventually) at least in my area ( Virginia).

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am on AT&T in Yakima, WA. I did not have this issue on my iPhone 6 (not plus), but do on my 7 (not plus). I had to turn off Wifi Assist, as that was just a disaster. Failed on every level since getting the iPhone 7 and / or iOS 10. I also enabled LTE over Voice and Data and that helps a bit. My signal here sucks.. so I am doing the best I can with a bad situation until AT&T fixes whatever is going on.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I talked to AT&T again yesterday and they say a 4G tower is experiencing an outage and I should give it a week or so. But I am not worried if I have to be on LTE all the time for data usage it's not that big of deal as I am grandfathered in with unlimited data anyway.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77