Apple TV Sports Notification

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
If you use Apple TV and your software is up to date, then you are probably receiving a push notification for sports events that Apple thinks you might be interested in. When that first started happening, I appreciated the heads up. Now, I've decided it is just annoying because every time I try to watch the event, I get the message that I can't watch it because my location is blacked out.

If you're experience is the same, or you just don't want those notifcations, you can turn them off as follows:
Settings>Apps>TV Scroll down to Notifications, then select Exciting Games and turn it off.

Credit to Cult of Mac for this solutuion.

Reactions: doogald

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you use Apple TV and your software is up to date, then you are probably receiving a push notification for sports events that Apple thinks you might be interested in. When that first started happening, I appreciated the heads up. Now, I've decided it is just annoying because every time I try to watch the event, I get the message that I can't watch it because my location is blacked out.
I found this setting already after, more than once, getting a notification on a game that I was planning to watch later (it was being DVRed) while I watched something else. (For some sports I'll start watching late so I can skip through ads wheel I catch up to live action.)

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You could also use a vpn.
That's an excellent suggestion and I should have thought of it since I already have a VPN. Unfortunately, my VPN (which is lifetime) does not have an app for Apple TV. I guess I'll take a look at the VPNs that will work. Of course, the only thing I would watch now if I could is Texas Rangers baseball, and they're terrible so maybe I'd be happier not watching. ;)

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok. I priced the VPNs that work with Apple TV, and they cost more than they're worth for me. BUT, then I realized I don't need the VPN to work with Apple TV. I can just use the already paid for VPN on my iPad and then Airplay it to the tv.