Anyone use a 3rd party mail app?

I

iMore Question

Hey guys!

Does anyone use a 3rd party mail app Instead of the stock mail? I’m thinking of deleting the stock app and just use outlook mail.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Just scared it will mess up apps linked to the stock mail app

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Lots of people use third party email apps. Deleting the stock app won’t hurt anything aside from getting an error message if you tap directly on an email address that tries to open the stock app.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've tried Outlook and Gmail always go back to stock mail app though. Might give Outlook another shot.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For me, third party mail apps don’t have any benefit. I’m content with the stock mail app, like almost all other stock Apple apps on my iPhone.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My advice is make sure your mail host and client are in a proper setup so all of your data will be synced between the server and your client device no matter what app you use. When you know that you have no risk trying other mail client apps.

I use the built in for the most part but keep Outlook and the Google mail client on my phone because I'm an Azure/365 and G Suite admin. With that I will say that on occasion I downright like Outlook and get surprised by some of the people I work with who do. That includes one of my Apple Store Business Team contacts.

No matter what you use take the time to make sure your important messages, contacts and calendar are synchronized. That's as much data protection as it is about choosing what client software you like.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My favorite 3rd-party mail app is still Outlook from Microsoft, but it’s been awhile since I’ve used it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I personally use Spark, but Timyo is another I like to use from time to time.

Spark for me too. I came from Android so I just used my GMail to create my iCloud account and don't actually have an iCloud email. All my contacts were in GMail so it was easy to use that to get them onto the phone. I used Inbox forever but when the shutdown came I tried out GMail but it just wasn't the same. Spark isn't the same either but it's a lot closer. Really wish they'd finish up their Android and web versions. I was telling my friends who are still on Android and were using Inbox about it but of course they still can't use it yet.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I use Outlook for my iPhones mostly because the stock app does not push gmails. It also combines all accounts for the inbox. sent box and archive box so it is handier for small devices like a phone (although I read somewhere that the push gmail in Outlook is not really a push but a super fast fetch, which tends to consume battery juice. I do not see any difference from a true push gmail though). Stock mail's viewer screen is a bit convoluted for a small screen device, but I always have it handy as it uses the system font that is scalable and easier to see.
One time, I used the gmail app as a push notifier for the stock mail but did not like it. Gmail as a standalone app has not much appeal to me and it has small fonts and often difficult to read.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I also used Spark and a few other 3rd party apps to experiment but found that Outlook was most optimized for a mobile terminal and easier to use. Outlook for MacOS was a totally different animal though, lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use Outlook for my iPhones mostly because the stock app does not push gmails. It also combines all accounts for the inbox. sent box and archive box so it is handier for small devices like a phone (although I read somewhere that the push gmail in Outlook is not really a push but a super fast fetch, which tends to consume battery juice. I do not see any difference from a true push gmail though). Stock mail's viewer screen is a bit convoluted for a small screen device, but I always have it handy as it uses the system font that is scalable and easier to see.
One time, I used the gmail app as a push notifier for the stock mail but did not like it. Gmail as a standalone app has not much appeal to me and it has small fonts and often difficult to read.

Yeah, I have the gmail app installed on my iPhone and use it solely for “work” purposes. I don’t like it and I agree that the font is too tiny for my liking. Still, it gets the job done nonetheless. For my personal email accounts, I use the native Mail app, but I’m thinking about switching back to Outlook for a while.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have the Gmail app installed on my iPhone and use it solely for “work” purposes. I don’t like it and I agree that the font is too tiny for my liking. Still, it gets the job done nonetheless.

I agree. I too have one Gmail for work and another for personal. Separating the work Gmail is a good idea and I do that on Mac desktop (Outlook for work Gmail mostly for the recipients, and stock Mail App for the rest including a personal Gmail). As you say, the font is too small in the Gmail app but I might try it in my iPhone to see if there might be any convincing benefits. Sure push is critical in work mail.

Actually, the biggest advantage of using the mobile Outlook to me is that you can call up any mailboxes of all accounts in one viewer pane. This may not be too good on a desktop application, but for a mobile phone when you quickly glance incoming email or search archive and send short response etc, this is actually an advantage IMO.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I too have one Gmail for work and another for personal. Separating the work Gmail is a good idea and I do that on Mac desktop (Outlook for work Gmail mostly for the recipients, and stock Mail App for the rest including a personal Gmail). As you say, the font is too small in the Gmail app but I might try it in my iPhone to see if there might be any convincing benefits. Sure push is critical in work mail.

Actually, the biggest advantage of using the mobile Outlook to me is that you can call up any mailboxes of all accounts in one viewer pane. This may not be too good on a desktop application, but for a mobile phone when you quickly glance incoming email or search archive and send short response etc, this is actually an advantage IMO.

For desktop, be aware of the server side rollouts, and that your organization or administrator might not be on the fast track or standard release. Mac and Windows Outlook have the new features and look now. The web version should now or soon show a slider switch to move from old to new look.

Outlook mobile is good about multiple accounts and display but I mostly like it if at all for work calendar integration. The stock app handles dates well but takes you to a different app.

Google has announced the new mail but I haven’t yet seen it in my phone updates.

I tend to stick with simple if a default app works. Mail is mail. The stock app handles multiple accounts, multiple server types, and manages messages. Innovation and better mouse traps for work are not mail. That’s Microsoft Teams, Slack, and maybe some day Google’s chat will not be so ridiculously lame if compared to Microsoft and Slack.

I don’t expect much innovation with mail just because it’s connecctionless vs chat, uses old protocols, and does not facilitate good collaboration the way Microsoft Teams and Slack do. Mail for work groups is stupid. You mostly multiply files instead of collaborate on same. You can have forked and missed conversations.

BillyBreathes

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I like the gmail app, but I also keep my gmail account set up in the stock accounts app. With mail turned off in settings and contacts and calendars on. I like having access to that stuff but prefer the way gmail filters the personal/social/promotions tab.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77