Anyone upgrading from their 7 Plus to 8/8+/X?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I commented on this post back on the 12th that I had no intention of getting any of the new iPhones as I was happy with my 7 Plus. I still think the 7 Plus is a great phone, but I decided to pass it on to someone else and I picked up the 8 Plus yesterday. I have watched and read "expert" after "expert" shoot this phone down for what could be considered obvious reasons. In my opinion the iPhone 8 Plus is the culmination of the last 10 years of iPhones. It is a fantastic phone in pretty much every way. I used the Note 8 for about 10 days because I have had every one of them and couldn't resist at least trying it. The Note is an amazing phone, but for someone in the Apple ecosystem like I seem to be these days, it wasn't going to work for me personally. I have tried the S8+ and now the Note 8 and while both are amazing and have the latest design, I still enjoy the feel and design that Apple has stuck with for the last 4 years. I think the iPhone X is a beta phone and that is just not something I am willing to test for a device that plays such an important role in my day to day activities. For that reason I will enjoy the 8 Plus and all of the internals and features that really matter to me from the iPhone X.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the iPhone X is a beta phone and that is just not something I am willing to test for a device that plays such an important role in my day to day activities. For that reason I will enjoy the 8 Plus and all of the internals and features that really matter to me from the iPhone X.

Well said sir

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm keeping my 7 Plus a while longer for a couple of reasons. First, the new iPhones will not work with T-mobile's new 600mhz band IF it ever launches in my area, and since signal inside a building is horrible, that's one of the things I was hoping for. The other issue is I have the 128 gig version 7 Plus with a lot of songs and movies on it totaling about 80 gigs, so the 64 gig iPhone is out which only leaves the 256 gig version. So that means either $949 for the 8 Plus or $1149 for the X. Since I'm not a big fan of the X, that leaves $949 for the 8 Plus. To maintain my $30 monthly payment so my bill won't change, that's $229.99 down. That's $229.99 I can use toward a new Tamron 600mm lens for one of my cameras, so I'm content with the 7 Plus a while longer. :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I test phones for my company, so I get all the new ones. I just went from the 7 plus to 8 plus and already have the X on order through my vendor.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
How do I get this job? How are you feeling about the 8 Plus?

??????

The 8 plus is nice. if you are coming from a 7 plus then its not a big jump. Anything lower than that though it is a great device upgrade. Wireless charging is nice and the camera is great. I will use this one until the X comes in and as long as I can get used to the FaceID this will be my backup.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I’ve had every single iPhone since the original...and for the first time ever I’m skipping an upgrade. In my opinion there is no reason to switch from my perfectly fine iPhone 7+ to the 8 or 8+...or perhaps even the “X”. I’m not a frequent photographer, will never play a game on my phone...nor will I show off the new sleek glass back body plate, since I’ll always use a leather Apple case. For what I need my phone to do every day, and all day...my 7+ does it greatly without one complaint, lag or failure!

The only advantage of trading up to the X would be a faster processor and a bigger screen. But, neither are necessary...to me.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I’ve had every single iPhone since the original...and for the first time ever I’m skipping an upgrade. In my opinion there is no reason to switch from my perfectly fine iPhone 7+ to the 8 or 8+...or perhaps even the “X”. I’m not a frequent photographer, will never play a game on my phone...nor will I show off the new sleek glass back body plate, since I’ll always use a leather Apple case. For what I need my phone to do every day, and all day...my 7+ does it greatly without one complaint, lag or failure!

The only advantage of trading up to the X would be a faster processor and a bigger screen. But, neither are necessary...to me.

I tried the 8 Plus for about 8 or 9 days, (14 day return period with my carrier) and I decided to return it and keep using my (paid for!) 7 Plus for another year at least. The 8 Plus was great, but not a big jump from the 7 Plus as others have stated. At least not for me it wasn't.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried the 8 Plus for about 8 or 9 days, (14 day return period with my carrier) and I decided to return it and keep using my (paid for!) 7 Plus for another year at least. The 8 Plus was great, but not a big jump from the 7 Plus as others have stated. At least not for me it wasn't.

It just makes most sense, to me, to wait for X2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was planning on getting the 8+ after paying off my Series3 Watch. But I have a serious medical issue and will keep my 7+ awhile longer. I am on medical leave as of today and surgery on Wed. So spending on hold. I played with the 8+. Shame on me. Lol. Eventually. But first things first. The X is not doing it for me and the price tag is ridiculous. I love Touch ID.
I am with my iPhone . I want the 8+. Don’t need it. I really need to concentrate on me right now. Lots of prayers please

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Not me: my 7 Plus works great, I need to control my finances and the specks don’t impress me enough to upgrade at this time. Maybe next year. Or I might just buy another 7 Plus if mine fails.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yep upgraded my 7+ yesterday on iUP. The 7+ will be getting mailed back to Apple next week when the return kit arrives. I already like the size better. Yeah the screen is not quite as big overall as the Plus but it's bigger than a 7/8 in the same size body almost which is exactly what I was after.

Infinite7154

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I got my X on Friday. Returned it yesterday. Too slim. A couple of my main apps didn't use full screen(HBO Go, YouTube, Home Run Battle 2) Not impressive enough to justify the $1150 price tag.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
After 8 and X have been out with reviews, I made the right choice to get the 7+ in May. I’m very happy with my iPhone and no rush to get the new ones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can’t say that I “upgraded” from my iPhone 8. I simply went out and purchased an iPhone X. Now I have both devices. There’ll be times when I take out the SIM from my iPhone X and insert it into the iPhone 8 for a while.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77