Android Vs. iPhone

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It seems that Apple develops new products to beat Apple...not other companies. (atleast from what history has shown us) They tend to ignore the market and build their products with new features that fit Apple's overall thinking vs. actually trying to compete with other phones, computers, etc...and i think that is why they retain the level of success these other companies dont, because they try to make a product that people would want/have even if they already owned the "competition's" product.

While I fundamentally agree with what your saying you have to admit that competition is always good. With the success of android, Apple has to change their strategy some what. The market will always dictate how products will sell. The new Apple TV is a perfect example. Selling what Steve Jobs wanted didn't work but selling what the consumers wanted appears to be doing better.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Only Android phone I would have is the EVO. The OS is lacking in usability compared to the iPhone BUT, with unlimited data and the ability to use it as a wifi hotspot with a 4G network, I would have one but Apple has graced us with the iPhone. So you know where I stand.

I couldn't agree more.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
haha thats my exact experience with Android users as well.

I always ask the same thing of Android users and the most common response is anti-Apple hate which leads me to believe they just get angry they don't own an iPhone so they bought the only thing close to it.

I also could care-less about Android really. It's not terribly bad but I just don't prefer it compared to something as silky smooth as the iPhone.

Same here. I always get some ramblings about how the iPhone doesn't do this that or whatever. Personally, it does what i want, and it RARELY force closes on me, something that can't be said of android. That said, I do like some things about android but I prefer iOS. Also, I love how Apple treats me as a customer. I pay a premium for their products, but I have never left a Apple store feeling like I got screwed.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While I fundamentally agree with what your saying you have to admit that competition is always good. With the success of android, Apple has to change their strategy some what. The market will always dictate how products will sell. The new Apple TV is a perfect example. Selling what Steve Jobs wanted didn't work but selling what the consumers wanted appears to be doing better.

Oh trust me, i absolutely agree with you 100%...i was just pointing out the way apple seems to approach development (atleast as ive understood it).

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone vs. Android argument has become synonymous with the Mac vs. PC arguments...its funny how closely the two resemble each other really, like a mirror image.

Knowing several android owners though, the thing that humors me is how ANTI-Apple they are...where i just dont care about the Android phones, i dont go out of my way to bash them or find everything wrong with them, i pay them exactly ZERO attention because they dont appeal to me...where as Android owners (atleast the ones i know) are so viciously against Apple products that they attack like blood on water when one comes out in a group...lol.

Ask them what "open" means and they won't be able to tell you. Tell them the "closed" Apple community has how many apps? And that it's not up to the carriers to release Droid updates.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Same here. I always get some ramblings about how the iPhone doesn't do this that or whatever. Personally, it does what i want, and it RARELY force closes on me, something that can't be said of android. That said, I do like some things about android but I prefer iOS. Also, I love how Apple treats me as a customer. I pay a premium for their products, but I have never left a Apple store feeling like I got screwed.

All Android owners say the Droid is superior cuz you can tweak it. Tweak it? Who gives a **** about "tweaking" a phone? :rolleyes:

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
All Android owners say the Droid is superior cuz you can tweak it. Tweak it? Who gives a **** about "tweaking" a phone? :rolleyes:

Obviously a lot of people do, Android is selling like crazy... Asa matter of fact I'm pretty sure its growing larger and much faster than the iPhone...

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, cuz it's on 55k platforms. Now if you compare the iPhone vs the Droid X or the iPhone vs the Samsung whatever, it's a different story. Besides, Google gives the Android OS out for free.

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, cuz it's on 55k platforms. Now if you compare the iPhone vs the Droid X or the iPhone vs the Samsung whatever, it's a different story. Besides, Google gives the Android OS out for free.

This is true...I have still yet to see an Android phone run half as smooth as the iPhone does... I will say those new Windows phones look promising and buttery smooth.....

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah WP 7 does look nice. Hell, any improvement in Windows Mobile can only go upwards. I used to have one of those and it was garbage.

sigmamason

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
When Android fans say open, they mean open source apps that come from a variety of folks, including the Android Market. In the opinion of some, Apple's approval process is not what they like vs the "openness" of Android. Only one carrier requires usage of the Android Market for apps vs usage of any website that sells/has Android apps, but when Android 3.0, there will be more standardization and requirements placed on devs...at least according to rumors on various Android sites...
I like Android and iPhone, but if people think Apple is closed, then look at Blackberry, half the apps, nowhere near the fun aspect of the iOS and it is more of a "walled" garden in terms of API usage and flexibility.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
When Android fans say open, they mean open source apps that come from a variety of folks, including the Android Market. In the opinion of some, Apple's approval process is not what they like vs the "openness" of Android. Only one carrier requires usage of the Android Market for apps vs usage of any website that sells/has Android apps, but when Android 3.0, there will be more standardization and requirements placed on devs...at least according to rumors on various Android sites...
I like Android and iPhone, but if people think Apple is closed, then look at Blackberry, half the apps, nowhere near the fun aspect of the iOS and it is more of a "walled" garden in terms of API usage and flexibility.

What's unfortunate is that Google is already suffering from thier openess. The fragmentation is really hurting the brand identity. The carriers are also starting to exert too much control as well. Verizon mandating and hardwiring Bing search onto a Google phone? Thats just awful.

but the openess is still nice. If you dont like the email client on an Adroid Phone you have five choices you can switch too. Want swype instead of the standard key board, you can do that. Dont like the included video player? You have many choices. You can also chose to allow your apps to update in the background. Does that mean sacrificing battery life? Yes, but its the users choice. Its a very differnt set up. It really is no longer a question of which is better, its which fits your needs better.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're comparing markets, there's really no argument. Apple wins with the fact that the iTunes market is large, organized, and accessible through both the iPhone and on your Mac/PC through iTunes. Not to mention that multiple people (my wife and I do this) could share the same iTunes account for apps.

Android market (unless it's changed drastically since July), while fast, is not well organized. There are barely any categories, and with the openness of the Market (both a good and bad thing) developers can put in triggers that make their app show up literally anywhere they want it to. Couple that with the fact that there is no way to access the Market from Windows/OSX/Linux and it makes for some frustrating searches. I often gave up unless I knew the exact name of what I was searching for, and even then I had to hunt for it sometimes.

When you talk about the Open Source nature of Android that again can be viewed multiple ways. The Linux community is well established and can do some fantastic things that many people wouldn't even think is possible. That allows for an incredible amount of collaboration and means that new innovations are coming out all the time, rather than on a set release cycle. Google took advantage of this when developing the Android OS; but even they couldn't help keeping some things to themselves to the extent that, for a time at least, all Android code was stripped out of the official Linux kernels because Google refused to share its innovations.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

Again I agree 100%. I brought my iPhone 4 in to Apple the other day cause of issues I was having. They tested it and said it all appears fine but would replace it if I wanted them to! This was unheard of to me. They were going to replace the phone that they tested as fine because I said I had issues with it! Thats great customer service if you ask me! I've also never left an Apple store and thought that they screwed me over either.

fresh1

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Again I agree 100%. I brought my iPhone 4 in to Apple the other day cause of issues I was having. They tested it and said it all appears fine but would replace it if I wanted them to! This was unheard of to me. They were going to replace the phone that they tested as fine because I said I had issues with it! Thats great customer service if you ask me! I've also never left an Apple store and thought that they screwed me over either.

I too have had nothing but great experiences with Apples customer service .( i had a similar story to yours ).. ;)

Fresh1

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site

Have to echo this as well. I went into my Apple Store yesterday. My home button was acting wonky but of course I couldnt replicate any of the issues I was having. 15 minutes later I walked out with a new Iphone 4. they really do take care of thier customers.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you. I shouldn't have to hack my phone to get it to function the way I want. However, if that's the argument they are using, it's a weak one. You can root android, and you most certainly can jailbreak iOS. Each offers (to my knowledge..) the same amount of "tweaking". I hate people that try to argue with little to no knowledge about the view point opposite of their own.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Same thing happened with me with my MacBook Pro. One day I took it in because the hard drive had completely died. I took it in and they told me that it was out of warranty. I nearly died. I said "Okay" and I proceeded to put my dead laptop back in it's case when the rep called the manager over and they replaced my hard drive, for free, that day. I couldn't have been more great full (that is, unless they had handed me a new MacBook Pro).

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What bugs me about android is that there is not one device that has all of the great features combined. This one has a nice screen but no camera flash. This one has a nice screen ad camera flash but no front-facing camera. This one has almost everything but pathetic internal storage (SD has a lot of problems people tend to ignore). This one is perfect but you can't make Google the default search engine and Bing is not an equivalent experience.

It goes on and on... iPhone, while it may be the only iOS option, is a very linear product line. Android phones are sold and totally random price points and all seem to be lacking one important thing.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77