AirPods double taps not responsive

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Is there a specific place on the AirPods I’m supposed to tap to get the double taps to take? It seems to only work about 1 out of ever 5-10 times. Very frustrating. Seems especially bad if the bud is set to Siri. Also I can never get it to work when I’ve only got one AirPod in.

The AirPods I demo’d at the Apple store didn’t seem to have this issue. Not sure if my AirPods are duds.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had the same issue with mine. I’ve tried different speeds and with varying amounts of pressure but I’ve never had a consistent experience.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you are having tap issues it could be a problem with one or both AirPods. But first hard reset them, remove them from your BT settings and re-pair them. To hard reset them, put them both back in the case and press and hold the pairing button until the notification light turns red/orange. When the light is back to white, bring them near your phone and re-pair them. If that does not fix your issue take a drive to the Apple Store for a replacement set.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are having tap issues it could be a problem with one or both AirPods. But first hard reset them, remove them from your BT settings and re-pair them. To hard reset them, put them both back in the case and press and hold the pairing button until the notification light turns red/orange. When the light is back to white, bring them near your phone and re-pair them. If that does not fix your issue take a drive to the Apple Store for a replacement set.

Wow, did not even realize there was a button on the back of the case. I’ll give that a shot and see if that helps.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I just re-paired them. Same issue. I was able to get them to work a few times right after initial pairing but after they, I couldn’t get them to engage while double tapping at all. Seems like I may not be the only one having this issue so not sure if it’s a defect or if it’s just not all it’s cracked up to be.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I just re-paired them. Same issue. I was able to get them to work a few times right after initial pairing but after they, I couldn’t get them to engage while double tapping at all. Seems like I may not be the only one having this issue so not sure if it’s a defect or if it’s just not all it’s cracked up to be.

Mine work all the time, so you might have a dud. Bring them to Apple and they will swap them out for you.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
make sure you're tapping over the black dot on the side of the airpod . I think that's the proximity sensor that registers the taps.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
make sure you're tapping over the black dot on the side of the airpod . I think that's the proximity sensor that registers the taps.

I am. They replaced them last night. The second pair is a little more responsive ... but still not very good. I’ve had even worse issues with the 2nd pair. I’ll start a new thread to document all the issues. Really frustrating.

uyzer

Feb 25, 2019
Visit site

My right AirPod wasn't responding to double tap (the left one was). Hard reset worked, thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB