750 users and the IPHONE

GaryFL1

Jun 26, 2007
Visit site
Another perspective...

You guys should keep in mind another trend: there are many business users that are tired of the BB/Goodlink connected syndrome. I've been a Blackberry user for years, and over the last 2, I've been a Treo 700/Goodlink user. Sure, I love the Treo, love being connected, the instant gratification of always seeing email/celendar in real time, love my Slingplayer Mobile, OneNote mobile, eWallet, etc. I'm in high-tech sales and work partially from home as well as travel a bit. I'm not a Doctor or an Agent whose next big deal depends on a certain level of being connected (I understand there are those who chose a career path of "always on"). I am always online though - including at night, on weekends, on vacation with the family, etc. Its part of the dark & ugly side of being so attached to email - the "crackberry" syndrome. Everyone knows that I respond instantly regardless of where I am or what time it is. I've set expectations too high. It's eating into my personal & family time and I'm over it. I've made the decision that I'm cutting the cord to the business world via push email, and keeping my access strictly on my laptop when at home office or hotel. I'm going over to the iPhone. If I absolutely need to connect to email when traveling (before getting to my hotel), I can either get a Sierra card, or I would imagine that I could hit OWA from the Safari browser in iPhone in a pinch.

I like the idea of integrating my phone in a beautiful UI (it's about time somebody brought some innovation to the phone UI!!) along with my music (wont have to carry my iPod also) photos, videos and podcasts, web. These are things that will supplement my business use (phone & web mainly), entertain me when I have downtime (on a plane, airport, hotel, home) yet not have me constantly tethered when I'm off work (something a work-at-home person always struggles with, for those of you who dont know).

As far as the things I'll give up - some are sacrifices, some are not (i.e. no Slingplayer, but I'll have so much content on the iPhone, I wont care). Overall, for me, the psoitives far outweigh the negatives.

I totally understand that there are those that disagree with this logic and want to be connected all the time. There are the Apple haters that will try to defend BB and WM at all costs and say that the iPhone has no reason to be in the hands of a business user. There are those that will try to position the iPhone as the solution to everything. Just know that there are different users with different needs. The iPhone is an incredible device for a business or a non-business user - just depending on what they expect from the device...

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
I do think the iPhone will sell very well - it certainly is a huge step up from a standard phone, most users will find the keyboard a useful tool compared to t9, iTap etc - but for most business users it's not going to cut it.

I think it will sell well, but will see a high amount of return, as well as people returning to their razrs so they can type an sms message at a halfway decent speed.

I feel for those that port to Cingular because of this phone....

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
As mentioned...just depends on what they expect. If they expect a rich push email experience like BB or WM/GL - no good. As business user wanting a phone, browser & media device - I have no doubt it wont dissapoint.

I do, I imagine alot of people are going to be disappointed...business users generally want a PIM application. That keyboard is going to be horrid to type into Im afraid. Browser - 2G..why would anyone want slower data + as surer said earlier, no tethering (not that I would want to get around my company's firewall at work *ahem*. Media - Looks to be a slick interface, but can't play nearly as many file formats as a WM phone.. not to mention streaming audio, + its locked down.

I will say this tho, the interfact looks great. If Apple can make such a beautiful phone, its pitiful that Microsoft and its legions can't.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I do, I imagine alot of people are going to be disappointed...business users generally want a PIM application. That keyboard is going to be horrid to type into Im afraid. Browser - 2G..why would anyone want slower data + as surer said earlier, no tethering (not that I would want to get around my company's firewall at work *ahem*. Media - Looks to be a slick interface, but can't play nearly as many file formats as a WM phone.. not to mention streaming audio, + its locked down.

I will say this tho, the interfact looks great. If Apple can make such a beautiful phone, its pitiful that Microsoft and its legions can't.

those business users who want all of what you say will not be buying this phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy