No Siri for Canada? Why Upgrade?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What is going on here???

Upon checking Apple.ca, there appears to be no mention of Siri on the iPhone 5 pages, and they even removed it from the introduction video.

Honestly Apple, do we Canadians speak a different language? Americans have like 30 different accents. How can you expect us to upgrade when all we're really getting is better performance and a better camera? We're not even getting Siri, and even iTunes match is not confirmed yet for Canada... And you expect us to buy a 64GB iPhone 4S at $399 on a three year contract?

I am really finding this day to be so unbelievably bad, and it keeps getting worse and worse.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What is going on here???

Upon checking Apple.ca, there appears to be no mention of Siri on the iPhone 5 pages, and they even removed it from the introduction video.

Honestly Apple, do we Canadians speak a different language? Americans have like 30 different accents. How can you expect us to upgrade when all we're really getting is better performance and a better camera? We're not even getting Siri, and even iTunes match is not confirmed yet for Canada... And you expect us to buy a 64GB iPhone 4S at $399 on a three year contract?

I am really finding this day to be so unbelievably bad, and it keeps getting worse and worse.

I wonder if you bought one from the US, unlocked it, or factory unlocked, and used it in Canada, those features would work. Just a thought that some people may find useful.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What is going on here???

Honestly Apple, do we Canadians speak a different language?

Maybe you are speaking a different language. Every time you say "4S", it comes out "5". #justsaying :cool:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if you bought one from the US, unlocked it, or factory unlocked, and used it in Canada, those features would work. Just a thought that some people may find useful.

Not worth the effort... Man, this phone launch is such a nightmare. So horrible.
- 16 months wait
- no new design
- no notification LED which is sorely needed with notification center
- most major update (Siri) is not available in many countries
- 1080p video with no apparent choice in definition, meaning you will need more space
- 64GB model at $399 on contract is a major slap in the face to everyone. Do they not know about the other options on the market? How much is this phone unlocked, $899 + tax!?

And was I the only one who thought the direct comparisons to the various Android phones was really pathetic? I really thought that was just sad, especially the network speed comparison where they are just matching everyone else. Congratulations, you've caught up.

Not a single thing leap-frogged the competition aside from Siri, which (as aforementioned) is not even available everywhere on launch. So sad.

Maybe you are speaking a different language. Every time you say "4S", it comes out "5". #justsaying :cool:

Freudian slip man... I just can't help it... lol

JeremyHD

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
We have it.

Read below.

Update 1: Jim Dalrymple (a Canuck) from The Loop attended the Let?s Talk iPhone event, and has confirmed Siri is coming to Canada (phew):

Many have become concerned that Siri will not be available in Canada, but it will. I?ve confirmed with Apple that Canadian users will be able to turn on Siri on their phones.

Siri is localized in US, UK and Australia, French and German. The company didn?t specifically use Canadian in the technology, but it worked just fine for me.

As for why Siri is absent from Apple.ca, Jim responded to me with:

Because they didn?t officially use the language.

In other words, Siri hasn?t been localized for Canadian to be put on Apple.ca, yet. But it?s coming.

[Update] No Mention of Siri for the iPhone 4S on Apple Canada?s Website? | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

JeremyHD

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I would say we don't 'have it', because it's not on the Apple.ca website, and they obviously removed it on purpose from all the Canadian marketing materials.

We may have it by release, but it's clearly not for sure yet. I am not going to believe that we have it until Apple says so.

Meh.. Your choice.

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought people in Canada spoke English and/or French, which are both supported by SIRI?

Is there a new "Canadian" language we don't know about?

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking to complain, I have the same argument... I live in Japan. However, I will never have full Siri support as I speak English, and when I say Japanese place names, it assumes they are weird English words.

If you're looking for real REASONS, it's simply due to lack of content, contracts, agreements and data which will constitute a full suite of local services in Canada. It's a matter of getting local people to agree to put their data through the sites Apple is using to direct the info. While weather and research are non-locational, a great deal of the stuff IS locational. And yes, saying French names of places while speaking English will confuse the system. It's lack of regional data and differential place names. Apple wants to give the 100% service. They refuse to go halfway, if you've noticed.