Suggestions for iPhone 4/4S Tripod Mount?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in need of a tripod mount for an iPhone 4 and 4S. I've seen several gripper adapters that are more for generic cell phones, but I'm looking for something that is specific to the iPhone 4 series. Any suggestions?

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i use 2 different tripod mounts.

1. http://www.amazon.com/TCPH-Samsung-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU1843909
its generic. but it works. only works with iphones with THIN cases [or naked]. i use this because i use physical lenses when i shoot videos. i've also done some adventurous stuff like holding the iphone upside down on a monopod and sticking it into animal exhibits at the zoo to get upclose shots. i trust this tripod adapter.

2. http://www.diffcase.com
i use this case that has tripod mounts built in. downside is you can't use physical lenses due to the way it wraps around your phone. but plus side is the obvious built in mounts, the kick stands, and the fact it covers the screen for when you put it in your pocket.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm kind of worried that the Glif won't provide enough grip, so I've been looking at the Gary Fong iPhone 4 tripod adapter. Downside is I can't use my Otterbox case at the same time, but that would be okay for most shooting. I've also seen a ton of Glif ripoffs on Ebay and other sites, calling them Dot Lines, or something like that.

The Diff case is definitely cool looking, but I think overkill for what I'm wanting. I'm also not confident in mounts that are offset to one side, as it can possibly introduce bounce into the video, especially if mounted in/on a car.

I currently use an Otterbox Impact series case for my 4S, and I was wondering if that generic mount might fit with my case installed. I may be mounting the iPhone externally on a car, and want to keep the protective case on my phone to ward off random debris. The Diff looks protective enough, I'm just not personally comfortable with the offset mounting point.

Ohhh, what to do, what to do...

Julesw

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking the xshot, rugged so it could survive a drop but not too bulky, you can unclip the tripod fixings to reduce its bulk when you don't need them.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Rock, yea, the Kungl looks about like what I'm wanting. I wish it had more protection, but it looks like maybe I can slip something along the back of the case to have some more protection.

The main thing I'm looking for in a case is to make sure it's got a good center of balance. The mount I have now is actually one for a car, but whenever I hit a bump, it jiggles all over the place and obviously that effects the video.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I ended up going with the Gary Fong Tripod Adapter for iPhone 4/4S. After reading a LOT of reviews and watching more videos on YouTube than I can count, the Gary Fong seemed like the most secure for my needs. Another reason I decided not to go with the Glif was that there were just too many Glif copies out there, and I couldn't find a single review that kept my fears at ease that my iPhone wouldn't just randomly fall out if something starting shaking too hard or my tripod fell over.

I'm going to see how the Gary Fong does, and I may invest in a Kungl once spring gets here and I do more outdoors.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll do a full writeup on the Gary Fong shortly after it arrives this Friday.

cutdacheck2003#AC

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in need of a tripod mount for an iPhone 4 and 4S. I've seen several gripper adapters that are more for generic cell phones, but I'm looking for something that is specific to the iPhone 4 series. Any suggestions?

I went with the Steadicam Smoothee adapter for the 4/4s. And I have that mounted on a dynes tripod from best buy. The best part about it was that I paid 50 dollars together.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I ended up going with the Gary Fong tripod mount for iPhone 4/4S as it best meets my short term mounting needs. It works great with my 4S, but for some reason is just every so slightly more loose with my older iPhone 4. Not enough to be of worry though.

Hey Leanna, if you could do a quick experiment for me. Take your iPhone 4/4S and clip it into your Glif, and then stand over your bed or something soft and shake it around. Will the phone fall out if shaken hard enough, or is it really solid. In looking at the Glif in the past, it looks like the phone could potentially fall out if shaken around too hard. That's obviously a major concern for me. It's probably fine for tripod use though.

Also, I just thought I'd post a quick pic of my iPhone 4 mounted to my motion control rig. This will be for doing time lapse moves. This is the main reason I got the Gary Fong adapter.

6858726141_c450f795ef_z.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77