My iPad Experience

nicoff

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I got a 3G iPad over the weekend. I intended to use it on business trips and use it to browse/respond emails. Yes, I could do that with my iPhone, but I thought i would prefer the larger screen and, more important, the longer battery time (I always ran out of battery with my iPhone under heavy use). So far, so good. The larger screen and longer battery are definitely a plus.

I have noticed that with longer battery time comes another issue: MUCH longer charging time. It seems as if it takes well over 5 hours to fully charge the iPad (from about 5% charge)? So it is almost as if I have to charge the iPad every night just like the iPhone to make sure I have a full charge every morning.

In my opinion, the iPad is just like a bigger iPhone (sans the phone). Nothing wrong with that. I like the bigger screen and the lighter weight (as compared to a laptop/netbook). But it is perhaps just an evolutionary product (rather than revolutionary).

Do I REALLY need an iPad? No, I can do without it. Would I return it? No.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Do you actually use 95% battery life per day when browsing emails? I use my iPad for several hours every night for email, web, and games and only need to charge it once every 3-4 days. When it does need a charge, I usually do it overnight because, yes, it takes much longer to charge.

combatdoc

Dec 13, 2008
www.ffpblog.com
I charge mine as a matter of habit. The power cord is next to the bed along with the iPhone. I just plug it in at bedtime. I probably wouldn't bother on a trip though. I only charge the iPhone about every third day when I travel.

I wish Apple had put the clock app in the iPad though, so I could use it as an alarm clock.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I charge mine as a matter of habit. The power cord is next to the bed along with the iPhone. I just plug it in at bedtime. I probably wouldn't bother on a trip though. I only charge the iPhone about every third day when I travel.

I wish Apple had put the clock app in the iPad though, so I could use it as an alarm clock.

For me, the iPad would make for a clunky alarm. I like using my iPhone due to its small size -- much easier to grab off the nightstand, hit snooze, and keep snoring ;)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Do you actually use 95% battery life per day when browsing emails? I use my iPad for several hours every night for email, web, and games and only need to charge it once every 3-4 days. When it does need a charge, I usually do it overnight because, yes, it takes much longer to charge.

Same situation for me.. love the battery life.

iphoneedmonton

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I've had my iPad WiFi + 3G since launch on Friday - and have yet to charge it. It's at 4% right now, so I guess I'll have to plug it in tonight.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have the Wifi + 3G and JB it...first day after JB battery sucked bc of playing on Cydia. Been JB now for 3.5 days and haven't needed to charge yet. I actually was in Chili's today and used the "desktop connect" app bc i needed a powerpoint to show a co-worker. Needless to say, he was very impressed with iPad (he's an apple hater)

I barely use my Macbook Pro unless working on Microsoft Office.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
For me, the iPad would make for a clunky alarm. I like using my iPhone due to its small size -- much easier to grab off the nightstand, hit snooze, and keep snoring ;)

Acually, I love it as my alarm clock. I use WakeLight HD and it has a cool display for night with a big clock display show news and as an audible alarm.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I find it completely unusable do to the lack of Flash. I can't even use the email and notes app because it doesn't have Flash. And those bezels are huge man, just huge. And it has no camera, therefore it's even more useless. And even if it did have a camera, it wouldn't be as good as the Hubble camera and I'd still *****. Cuz Apple users ***** about everything. :eek: :D

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I find it completely unusable do to the lack of Flash. I can't even use the email and notes app because it doesn't have Flash. And those bezels are huge man, just huge. And it has no camera, therefore it's even more useless. And even if it did have a camera, it wouldn't be as good as the Hubble camera and I'd still *****. Cuz Apple users ***** about everything. :eek: :D

Personally I find my iPhone to be a little better than the hubble camera but that's just me...

Sarcasm wars!

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

I actually like the larger bezel. When I hold it, it helps prevent accidental screen touches (helpful when reading a book or playing Real Racing).

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
It charges so long because you use it so long - like me.

Use it for a couple or so hours per day and it wouldn't need to be charged so often. If it lasts as long as you need it to, despite high usage, and can fully charge overnight, I don't see a problem.
I got a 3G iPad over the weekend. I intended to use it on business trips and use it to browse/respond emails. Yes, I could do that with my iPhone, but I thought i would prefer the larger screen and, more important, the longer battery time (I always ran out of battery with my iPhone under heavy use). So far, so good. The larger screen and longer battery are definitely a plus.

I have noticed that with longer battery time comes another issue: MUCH longer charging time. It seems as if it takes well over 5 hours to fully charge the iPad (from about 5% charge)? So it is almost as if I have to charge the iPad every night just like the iPhone to make sure I have a full charge every morning.

In my opinion, the iPad is just like a bigger iPhone (sans the phone). Nothing wrong with that. I like the bigger screen and the lighter weight (as compared to a laptop/netbook). But it is perhaps just an evolutionary product (rather than revolutionary).

Do I REALLY need an iPad? No, I can do without it. Would I return it? No.

omegadivine

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I love my iPad, looking back on my purchase I probably didn't need it as much as I thought I did but I wouldn't return it, it has made so many things way more convenient for me :)

threar

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I like the original comment:

But it is perhaps just an evolutionary product (rather than revolutionary).

The iPad (like anything else) has its flaws, but one thing it's doing better than anything else is showing that people want a tablet/pad/<insert marketing name here> device. My hope is that we'll start seeing more and more devices like this, perhaps doing things better than the iPad could.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Acually, I love it as my alarm clock. I use WakeLight HD and it has a cool display for night with a big clock display show news and as an audible alarm.

You sir are my new hero :D I have always wanted to shut off my iPhone overnight to see if it did make it more stable but it's my alarm clock. Now I can use my iPad and give this a shot Thank you.

Wow OP you are a hardcore user if you have 5% in one day :eek: the shortest I've gotten is 2 days and longest 3 1/2 days. I always charge it overnight like my phone so never noticed if it takes longer.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I love my iPad and use it daily since launch date. I plug it and my phone in at night to recharge nightly. I know it could go a couple of days, but it's just easier to start the day fresh. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2