Practical uses for iPad?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Uuuuuhhhhh I just figured out what I'm going to use it for. I'm going to run Air Mouse app and use it as a giant wireless multi-touch trackpad for my MBP :D LOL
I will too.

I would love someone to make an IR transmitter and A/V remote control software for it.

amorok

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I think this thing will be awesome for me when and if I can pick one up. I ride a motorcycle, and the iPad will slip right into a saddlebag and now I have something much more durable and better than a netbook. With flash media instead of a hard drive the vibration will be much less detrimental, and while I'm at the truck stop for gas I can refine my route plan, all while continuing the playlist I had running through my bluetooth headphones during my ride. Then, when I stop for the night I have movies and chat with my wife at home. Plus, I'll just wifi tether to my JB'd iphone to get online, so it's all good.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
The most practical use for me is the tablet will be easier to carry around and use than a laptop would.

So for instance just chillen on the couch will be a lot more comfortable with an iPad than a MacBook.. :)

derrythe

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was stupid at first, just a big iPod really, and in most ways it is. But no one talks about how nice it would be to have such a portable device as a good replacement to a laptop, with iWork, you get a decent office sweet with programs comparable to word, excell, and powerpoint. I'm buying it for that alone.

dblake15

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The other thing that I think is missed is when I use a laptop that darn thing gets pretty hot on my lap. The ipad hopefully will fix that and I can do everything I can with my family room laptop.

Plus think of travel. Wow. no need to worry about the guy in front of you putting his seat back and having to move the laptop screen down.

I am going to see how close I can use this for my work. I have so many networking apps on it it will be interesting to see.

BillCoke

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Easy Question

OK - I have figured out what I'm gonna do with it. Even some of the jokes have sold me - it would work pretty nice while on the throne.

I have an itouch - no iphone. I'm on Verizon and pretty happy with my phone and data service. I do not have any type of Verizon offered iphone copy.

I am considering the ipad - while still keeping my verizon phone service. If I activate the 3G service - am I correct in thinking it I will activate an AT&T account and then will pay $30 a month to get unlimited data service for the ipad. Will that mean i can go just about anywhere (with service) and use all of the applications on the ipad?

Right now I love my itouch - but would like to have service pretty much everywhere.

Be easy on me - I'm new at this.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
OK - I have figured out what I'm gonna do with it. Even some of the jokes have sold me - it would work pretty nice while on the throne.

I have an itouch - no iphone. I'm on Verizon and pretty happy with my phone and data service. I do not have any type of Verizon offered iphone copy.

I am considering the ipad - while still keeping my verizon phone service. If I activate the 3G service - am I correct in thinking it I will activate an AT&T account and then will pay $30 a month to get unlimited data service for the ipad. Will that mean i can go just about anywhere (with service) and use all of the applications on the ipad?

Right now I love my itouch - but would like to have service pretty much everywhere.

Be easy on me - I'm new at this.
That is consistent with my understanding. I ordered the 3G radio.

The limitation is AT&T's 3G coverage. Getting better but still behind Sprint and Verizon.

signjc

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
1. Game on - If you play roleplaying games - order pdf's and have all your references handy on game night - it will save you a ton of money too buying pdf's versus hard covers

2. Use it to present - If you give speeches, present, appear in court etc... it is often impractical to have a laptop on the lectern...an ipad will let you have your notes, cases, speech, etc... handy and ready to go

3. Use it to ditch your iphone. You can get a much cheaper phone when your contract runs out and still use all those apps you invested in. Or you can switch to windows mobile phone or android phone and tether your ipad to your new phone.

4. Use it on your commute. It you travel by bus, train or plane often and you haven't bought an e-reader yet, the ipad is perfect

5. Use it for instant access to information - sometimes you want to know something but you don't feel like booting up your laptop - instant on-line sweetness

6. Use it to to say been there done that - odds are the resale value of these things will be good - so use it and ebay it if it doesn't work out

7. Use it because you don't want or need a full desktop OS for an on the go tablet

8. Use it to doodle - because little iphone doodles just weren't big enough

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
1. Game on - If you play roleplaying games - order pdf's and have all your references handy on game night - it will save you a ton of money too buying pdf's versus hard covers

2. Use it to present - If you give speeches, present, appear in court etc... it is often impractical to have a laptop on the lectern...an ipad will let you have your notes, cases, speech, etc... handy and ready to go

3. Use it to ditch your iphone. You can get a much cheaper phone when your contract runs out and still use all those apps you invested in. Or you can switch to windows mobile phone or android phone and tether your ipad to your new phone.

4. Use it on your commute. It you travel by bus, train or plane often and you haven't bought an e-reader yet, the ipad is perfect

5. Use it for instant access to information - sometimes you want to know something but you don't feel like booting up your laptop - instant on-line sweetness

6. Use it to to say been there done that - odds are the resale value of these things will be good - so use it and ebay it if it doesn't work out

7. Use it because you don't want or need a full desktop OS for an on the go tablet

8. Use it to doodle - because little iphone doodles just weren't big enough

Who knew how practical the iPhone was going to be a month before shipment. Hell, we thought that we were going to use it to make phone calls. Who knew?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
In addition to all the obvious uses (photos, surfing, email, music), I'm looking forward to seeing if the iPad will be a valid business device for me. For instance, I plan on using it almost exclusively for blogging and some legal work. I'm hoping I can throw it (gently) into my bag and take it along in place of my MBP. I'm rather certain that, just like the evolution of the iPhone and it's apps, the iPad will evolve (mainly through software development) and become something much bigger than most people imagine -- I see it as a real game-changer.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Reading, surfing the web, playing games, kid occupier, you name it....
When Nicole was tiny, she had a TI Speak n' Math. It was one of the earliest applications of computers to teaching. It was not much more than drill but a certain amount of drill is useful. I thought of it when she graduated cum laudefrom the Georgetown School of Foreign Service. I thought of it when her five year old asked for an iPod Touch for Christmas. I thought of it when four generations of us sat around swapping apps.

The iPad is going to be a teacher, not just a "kid occupier." Not only will it teach content, it will teach skills, including how to use computers and the Internet to satisfy curiosity.

Is a book nothing more than a "kid occupier?" An advantage of the iPad is that one need not know how to read in order to use it. Another is that it will help one learn to read.

Do not dismiss the iPad as simply a "kid occupier." It is a kid amplifier.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think it'd be great for a kid. I'm already sold on ipod touch for kid use. Only thing i worry about is if my kid can use the iPad as well. One hand to hold it, 1.5lbs, other hand pecks at it. More likely to drop it imo.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think it'd be great for a kid. I'm already sold on ipod touch for kid use. Only thing i worry about is if my kid can use the iPad as well. One hand to hold it, 1.5lbs, other hand pecks at it. More likely to drop it imo.
The NYTimes thinks the scren size is better for kids. Think carpet, sofa, lap.

cchs

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I am a high school student and I use when I am typing research papers. I do research on my iPad and I type my paper on my MacBook Air.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2