iPad mini or refurbished iPad 3?

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I need opinions lol. I've been going back and forth about which I get. I'm a college student and rely on financial aid. So I am on a budget. I'm selling my HP NetBook and replacing it with an iPad. I need something not only for general use such as web, email, games here and there and media, but decent note taking on word processors. I know an iPad 3 would be ideal for such needs, but I could save a few bucks an get a mini. Would anyone recommend a mini for all those tasks? Or would it be too small?

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you should reconsider using an iPad as a note taking device. Unless you're planning on using a Bluetooth keyboard or something of the like, you will lose typing efficiency big time. And Im not convinced an iPad is a good choice for file management, etcetera.

If I had to shut up & pick between the two; iPad Mini.

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Haha. Well, what do you mean as far as file management? Any opinion is welcomed. Yeah we'll I plan on grabbing a Bluetooth keyboard sometime. So that can be solved easily.

iPad mini? It is tempting. I can get the 32 gig mini for 429.99 or a refurbished iPad 3 for 479.99. Choices choices 😖😥

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Haha. Well, what do you mean as far as file management? Any opinion is welcomed. Yeah we'll I plan on grabbing a Bluetooth keyboard sometime. So that can be solved easily.

iPad mini? It is tempting. I can get the 32 gig mini for 429.99 or a refurbished iPad 3 for 479.99. Choices choices 😖😥

There are tons of options for BT KB. Apple has one and companies make them where the iPad sits in it. I'm pretty sure I saw a company has one for the iPad mini already.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I need opinions lol. I've been going back and forth about which I get. I'm a college student and rely on financial aid. So I am on a budget. I'm selling my HP NetBook and replacing it with an iPad. I need something not only for general use such as web, email, games here and there and media, but decent note taking on word processors. I know an iPad 3 would be ideal for such needs, but I could save a few bucks an get a mini. Would anyone recommend a mini for all those tasks? Or would it be too small?

Laptop or you're wasting your time.

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've seen plenty use iPads for college notes. Especially given the fact that a majority of my notes are easy.

Mini is really tempting but ill see after this Friday. Found someone on Craigslist selling iPad 3 for 480 but Ill be thoroughly testing it.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The reason I suggested you stick with a laptop is because the functionality of the iPad is not anywhere near that of a laptop with some type of word processor. For example, saving, sending, printing notes is far easier on a laptop. You don't have a native file management system on the iPad, and this can lead to issues if you do a lot of saving, transferring, etc.

Also, carrying an iPad + BT Keyboard is essentially the same thing as carrying a netbook or something similar like a MacBook Air. You might as well go with the more robust option (laptop).

Just my $0.02. I think a laptop will save you time, headaches, and you'll be able to do a little more than on an iPad.

As before, If you absolutely have to pick between the two iPads; I would say go with the iPad Mini and save some cash to pay for a BT Keyboard down the road.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Gruber is fine. Yes he is an Apple-centric blogger but that doesn't automatically invalidate his reviews. And if you go read his entire review, he is only complaining about the mini's screen compared to a retina display which he has been using for months. He also said that after several days of use he got used to it. In fact he was planning to get a mini and use it as his main iPad because the lightness and portability trumped the lack of a retina display.

I read the review and didn't comment either way. I simply posted the link initially. It was a different opinion from the other reviews out there. As most of us are coming from Retina either on our phones, MacBooks or iPads I figured it would be a nice read.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry. I think I really meant to quote/reply to the comment about Gruber being a "douchebag". Yes you were just providing a link to a different opinion. I was also just trying to elaborate that he liked most things about the mini.

No biggie. I'll still most likely get one lol. Kind of an Apple Wh***.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
You can get a pretty decent laptop for the same price you're willing to spend. I just graduated from college and I used an iPad at times to take notes. Trust me when I say this, it sucks! I ended up buying a laptop and it was 100% easier for all my college work as a whole. You should get a Macbook air/pro if you can afford it, if not, they're are hundreds of good laptops out there from $400-$500. iPads are awesome, just not for note taking... Hope this helps :)

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't put too much stake in what Gruber has to say. The guy is a gigantic douchebag.

If its the same Gruber review I saw, he also says he is switching to the mini for reasons that outweigh screen resolution. He slams screen @ top, they proceeds to list all the reasons why he will use mini rather than his standard- size, retina-display iPad. The only part of his review that is being reproduced elsewhere is the bit about the screen.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The reason I suggested you stick with a laptop is because the functionality of the iPad is not anywhere near that of a laptop with some type of word processor. For example, saving, sending, printing notes is far easier on a laptop. You don't have a native file management system on the iPad, and this can lead to issues if you do a lot of saving, transferring, etc.

Also, carrying an iPad + BT Keyboard is essentially the same thing as carrying a netbook or something similar like a MacBook Air. You might as well go with the more robust option (laptop).

Just my $0.02. I think a laptop will save you time, headaches, and you'll be able to do a little more than on an iPad.

As before, If you absolutely have to pick between the two iPads; I would say go with the iPad Mini and save some cash to pay for a BT Keyboard down the road.

This is really personal preference. I use iPad w/ BT keyboard for just about everything portable, including note-taking. You can organize folders in your email, use email as a way to back up and/ or get your stuff to a PC linked to printer. For writing a lengthy paper, PC probably better, especially if you use a citation/reference management software package.

You can get USB adapter for charging port ( at least for the older larger non-lightning port) , then back stuff up to USB flash drive through adapter ( I have not done this; colleague has). As long as your library or student center has PC's w/ printers, you could make this work. As others have said, it doesn't quite stand alone, but with some minimal (yet reliable) PC access, it goes everywhere else pretty easily. I prefer it.

Having said that, the poster who commented on combined size of iPad + keyboard is also right. I still prefer to even larger laptop, but it can get hefty. So hefty that I will switch to mini and sell iPad 3rd gen (now Limited Edition!) from March release). Since I do have PC all day, every day @ work, mini wins big for me - for reasons many reviewers (including Gruber) have described.

Good luck - you really can't go wrong. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to purchase directly from Apple. Returns are easier (without restocking fee) if you decide it won't work, and exchanges are equally simple if you decide a different Apple device might suit you better. I swapped 16gb i phone for 32 gb after a week; did same w/ iPad3. Be sure you know return windows (ipads and phones are different- laptops might be different still). As long as you know what you can do within what timeframe, I can't recommend Apple store strongly enough. Customer service is amazing.

KylaGWolf

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well here is something to keep in mind the IPad doesn't have Microsoft Word on it. It does have a program called Pages which is similar. Now also keep in mind the mini is a smaller screen so reading on that for any length of time is going to be hard on your eyes. I would go for the IPad3 myself. They make all sorts of after market parts for the Ipad that will make your life a lot easier including charging bases that put the screen in the same position of a monitor and a bluetooth keyboard. You might also want to think about getting a HD for your IPad because depending on what you put on it 32GB won't go all that far, Or spend a bit more and get a used Macbook they are a lot lighter than the HP and hold up pretty well.

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank everyone. I really appreciate the advice/opinions/criticism. Since I am fairly new still to the Apple ecosystem (barely bought my first iPhone 4S from Craigslist about a month and a half ago), I'm still trying to catch up.
Well, I found what seems to be fairly legit deal on Craigslist. Guy is trying to get rid of his 64 gb iPad 3 for 450. Seems he just wants to sell it An already preordered his mini, the 4, AND looks to be getting the new MacBook Pro. So who knows. I'm meeting him in about an hour or so. Will be inspecting it thoroughly and hope its legit. Sounds a bit too good to be true but it DOES has warranty till March so all in all, I can exchange. Wish me luck 😣

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank everyone. I really appreciate the advice/opinions/criticism. Since I am fairly new still to the Apple ecosystem (barely bought my first iPhone 4S from Craigslist about a month and a half ago), I'm still trying to catch up.
Well, I found what seems to be fairly legit deal on Craigslist. Guy is trying to get rid of his 64 gb iPad 3 for 450. Seems he just wants to sell it An already preordered his mini, the 4, AND looks to be getting the new MacBook Pro. So who knows. I'm meeting him in about an hour or so. Will be inspecting it thoroughly and hope its legit. Sounds a bit too good to be true but it DOES has warranty till March so all in all, I can exchange. Wish me luck ��

Let us know how it goes! Post pictures of your new toy :p

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I totally hit the jackpot. Dude showed up and had the box in perfect shape, the iPad was put back in its original plastic seal and the charger and cable untouched. Flawless condition. 64 gig iPad 3 for 450 cash. It's a beauty. The retina display is amazing. And I took my usual notes perfectly fine in class. A keyboard would be a nice investment soon though.

I'll be posting pictures in a few.