Sony WH-1000X M3. Anyone use them?

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Thinking about getting a high end ANC set of over ear headphones. Had originally considered the Beats Studio 3, mainly for the W1 chip. Having an iPhone, iPad, and an Apple TV. Tried them out at my local Best Buy, and while the sound quality was good, the ear cups were too small for my ears, and felt that would be an issue after some time. They also had others out to try. Including Bose Quiet Comfort 35, JBL Everest Elite 750, and the Sony WH-1000.

While I felt like the JBL felt like a solid pair of phones, especially for them being about $130 cheaper, I wasn’t sure how good the ANC was, seeing as I could not turn it off. The Bose were nice. Solid construction, and the sound was nice.

The reason I am leaning towards the Sony is this. Controls. Only 2 buttons, power and Noise cancellation. Volume control, track control, and call control are touch on the right ear cup. Also, covering the right ear cup will stop the ANC for a moment if someone is talking to you.

Also, when I was looking at the Beats, the salesman said he recommended the Beats or the Sony. Beats, mainly for the Apple integration, and Sony, because, in his opinion, they had the best sound.

Anyone have any thoughts? I know, it’s my choice, and I probably will get the Sony’s. I just wanted to see others thoughts.

Side note: saw the Beats on sale last summer for $100 off, and if I saw that again, I’d jump on that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never used them, but I do have a pair of Bose QC-35 headphones and they are great for me. Anyway, hopefully those who have used the Sony headphones you mentioned will reply soon.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I've never used them, but I do have a pair of Bose QC-35 headphones and they are great for me. Anyway, hopefully those who have used the Sony headphones you mentioned will reply soon.

Based on what I heard from both at the store (not a great sample size), the sound seems comparable. Sony also has an app that allows for sound adjustments.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
After watching hours of YouTube video reviews comparing Beats, Bose, and Sony, I made a decision. I pulled the trigger on the Sony. Everyone like to knock Beats for their sound. A popular thing to do for audiophiles. I guess to show their expertise. I’ve run into that in the cycling community when it comes to bikes. I thought the sound quality of the Beats was quite good. The noise canceling I felt was really good with music playing. And, the integration into the Apple ecosystem is what I really liked. Listening to music on my iPhone, then switching to a movie on my iPad or my Apple TV. But, the ear cups are just too small. And, it was a deal breaker. If they have been $100 cheaper, I probably would have gotten them, and lived with it.

For me, the decision was down to Bose and Sony. And where Sony won out were these reasons. I felt the noise canceling without music was slightly better, the ability to cover the right ear cup to block the noise canceling momentarily to interact with someone was nice, and the response was immediate. While both have large ear cups, and feel comfortable, for some reason, the clamping feel didn’t feel as great with the Sony, therefore, I felt I would be able to wear them longer. The bass punch was perfect. Enough to let you feel it, but not overpowering to ruin the listening experience. The ability to tweak sound preferences in the Sony app, including how much noise canceling you need for what you’re doing, such as all the way up for sitting, or backing off if you’re walking around. Touch controls on the ear cup for volume, track control, and calls is nice. And, finally, USB-C charging. Seeing as the new iPad is now using it, it probably isn’t far behind in the iPhone.

I’m not taking a dig at anyone who has Bose or Beats. I think they are great headphones as well. For me, the Sony was just the way to go.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2