disk space full, file vault issues

tassosmn

Feb 7, 2019
Visit site
Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 12.32.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 11.56.13 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 11.56.13 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 9.45.34 AM.png

i am having a bunch of issues with my mac. first of all i always get a message that my disk is full even though i have deleted all my big files and apps.
it won't allow me back it up on my external drive.
fire vault buttons are greyed out i can not switch it, it says to plug it in to finish the process but it won't do it when i plug it in.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: disk space full, fire vault issues

I would look into getting a tool like CleanMyMac X and finding the hidden files and caches eating up your disk space. It is the safest one I've found. You could also buy DaisyDisk as well.

It appears that you only have 128gb model, which is not enough nowadays. Have you purchased an external drive for storage? You might want to do that also.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it were me, I would get a USB pin drive, copy all of my important files (documents, spreadsheets, presentations, music, photos and videos) and then transfer those files to your external hard drive. items that are generally synced to the cloud such as email, calendars, reminders, notes, contacts, etcetera, I wouldn’t worry about those too much.

From there, I would completely wipe the Mac and start from scratch. Hopefully, you have an install disk to assist you in quickly getting macOS reinstalled and set up.