How do I recover a file that went "missing" from my desktop on a MacBook Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejsurvivor

Feb 9, 2021
Visit site
MacBook Pro 2020, 13" up to date software. It was a folder but I'm most interested in a couple of retirement plans in Excel.

The folder was full and I use it all the time. I last opened it 4 days ago. I went to recent Excel files and they are there, but it says they have been deleted. Time Machine was not enabled. Maybe I trashed the folder accidentally. Software has failed to find the folder and gives me a message about not being able to scan because of AFPS T2. Please help. Thanks.

I tried EaseUS and Disk Drill. Neither showed any of the files that are missing. I searched by type and by name. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
MacBook Pro 2020, 13" up to date software. It was a folder but I'm most interested in a couple of retirement plans in Excel.

The folder was full and I use it all the time. I last opened it 4 days ago. I went to recent Excel files and they are there, but it says they have been deleted. Time Machine was not enabled. Maybe I trashed the folder accidentally. Software has failed to find the folder and gives me a message about not being able to scan because of AFPS T2. Please help. Thanks.

If it's not being found through traditional means and it's not backed up in your iCloud, you might want to consider signing up for the Setapp free 7-day free trial and downloading Disk Drill, which is a file recovery tool. - https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...setapp.com%2Fapps%2Fdisk-drill&token=wfLd5hXO

dejsurvivor

Feb 9, 2021
Visit site
Tried Disk Drill with no luck. Also EaseUS. After scanning, I searched all Excel files, and then the names of the files, and folder. Nothing. Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since you are using Microsoft Excel, sign in to Office 365 via a web browser and then check to see if your files are present therein. Check OneDrive, too.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Since you are using Microsoft Excel, sign in to Office 365 via a web browser and then check to see if your files are present therein. Check OneDrive, too.

OP saying "desktop" is a concern. If it were in a OneDrive or SharePoint location a deleted file would be recoverable. There might be an option to revert to old version.

If the Mac has Time Machine configured and backups I'd say look there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2